Absence Seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Deb12345

New
Reaction score
Hello all,
I was just wondering how do you know if you've had an absence seizure and can you be conscious when you have one? I think I had an unconscious one last night whilst in bed but cannot be sure. :ponder: No one was around to see it. My mind went blank for a few seconds and when I came round had a funny sensation go through my body followed by pins and needles and pulsations in my left hand.
Also, twice a week I have been attending lessons during the day and on several occasions have written down something else – not what I have been thinking, though must have been conscious(?) Strange! Quite often I seem to be in my own little world. Thank you all for your time and I hope you are having a good weekend,
Kind Regards
Debbie
:rose:

Last edited:
Hi Deb --

What you're experiencing sounds like a simple or complex partial seizure, since with absence seizures you are less likely to have a memory of it.

Absence seizurese are a breif seizure but you would never remember what you did during it- you are totally disonnected during it- but some people know they've had one because of the way they feel after it. That is what happens to me a lot. I have complex partial seizures but used to have Absence when I was younger. Complex partials would give you odd feelings in the begining but with those you don't remember the seizure itself, just what happens right before or after and even then, sometimes you don't remember anything.
The sensations you feel seem to be simple partial, since you're able to remember how you felt. Those don't impaire your consciouness at all- you are fully awake and aware but things are happening to your body that are within your control. But an EEG would show you what's up.

Take care,
Crystal

Back
Top Bottom