Accurate? Calling all doctors in particular!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
So I am working on this novel with an epileptic character. This is how I describe him:

He was a naturally sullen person, and crafty. His face always had a look of stupidity and desperation, like he wanted to be normal, but was either not able to, or his will was too weak. He was subject to epileptic fits, and when he had them, he would curse out sometimes. He also had turrets, so it was not completely clear if his more minor tic of cursing was that, or some sort of [partial] seizure. Every few months he would have a gran mal episode, but for the most part his seizures were partial. He did not get angry very much, but for whatever reason, he would curse during his seizures. Normally, he was sullen and quiet, and though he was not shy, he had few friends.

Doctors especially please! The idea is that this young man is subject to tics, but some of them may be seizures. Could that happen?

Last edited:
Depending on what time period your book is set in, the term "fits" is outdated.

And spelling Tourette's correctly would help.

Sorry, I'm an English teacher, not a doctor.

Not a doctor but have family full of them!

I would have someone proofread your writing as it's really easy to miss mistakes on stuff you've written yourself!

I have Tourette's syndrome (though it's very mild now I'm an adult) and epilepsy, but I never had coprolalia (swearing/inappropriate language tics-which are rare-ish in people with tourettes by the way! It would be useful to make that clear in your writing as it feeds into a big misconception about Tourette's.).

When I reported complex partial seizures, the first thing my GP looked into was whether they was actually complex tics (the chewing/lip smacking) until he realised i had no memory of doing so. I don't personally know if swearing is common in seizure types, someone else here might?

I wouldn't necessarily look to doctors, but perhaps disability studies scholars and what they say about supercrips and/or normativity. Simi Linton's Claiming Disability would be the best and most approachable place to start.

Back
Top Bottom