Advance warning of seizures (not auras)

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

jenagade

New
Reaction score
Hi everyone, hope you are all doing well.

I have auras before seizures. Visual disturbances, strange noises etc the standard bag of tricks.

However some days I either wake up feeling "off" or it comes on during the day and when that happens I just know I'm going to have at least one seizure. It's also the last thing to go away when my seizures start getting under control.

I can't really think of how to describe it except that it's a combination of feeling light headed and that sort of shiver you get up your spine sometimes but it stays around all day.

Has anyone else experienced something like this? I know it's possible to have auras by themselves but this isn't like the auras I get before a seizure.

There are a couple of threads on this, and I think quite a few experience something like it. I call it my 'electric feeling' lol sometimes I'll notice it 1 or 2 days before I actually have a seizure..

Just to add to it- I used to share my house with a wonderful little terrier called Cuskie, and he could always sense it too- a lot of the time even before I'd noticed it- and would fuss round me constantly, usually climbing on top of me and lying on my chest if I was sprawled on the couch!

Last edited:
Yes electricity thats what it is! Thanks, I have so many things which go on that I have no idea how to explain and sound like a lunatic when I try to and I have an appointment with a new neuro and I'm trying to think up my descriptions now so I don't have as much trouble at the visit lol.

It's not an aura I have it's just a feeling I get something is going to happen sometime.

It cant be explained either.

I experience that as well. It's a really hard feeling to describe, but I just know in my bones it's coming.

Its such a, I don't know, disgusting or unnerving feeling. I hate it especially because it hangs around and almost makes me feel nauseated.

I agree it is a feeling I get may last a day or a week. It is so hard to describe but I dread it when I get it. I usually will have a seizure but not always. Sometimes it is months between the feelings. Just something that dread when I get them.

I get them quite regularly and it's usually the first thing to come back if my meds start being less effective. It's very unnerving because it's one of the few things that you can actually feel occurring in your head/brain. And yes it's really hard to describe, people look at me like a nutcase when I try to

It's weird because I've just recently had preictal auras, and I'm putting the cause on my having gotten on Vimpat. Originally I'd just get knocked out by the seizure, have the TC and then wake up and then feel it all.
My recent aura I'd describe as a powerful sense of looming along with nausea and "head spinning" but without the spinning part(?that doesn't quite make sense), but with a definite sense of feeling doomed. I had a definite sense of priority, that THIS is the only thing that is in my entire world. There were no other priorities at all. I could feel the surge of what had been a lingering sensation, then suddenly (I had to quickly hand my mom a drink I had in my hand) I had to push someone out of the way, then sense like I was starting to lay on top of someone. My mom and I were at the mall and I caught up to her at a bench, where I had the seizure. Thank God my mom was there too to fend off the people and awkward things.
It's weird because I kind of hope that it doesn't happen that way anymore. Auras are awful. A dragging down through a feeling of quickly growing helplessness along with a feeling of "braining-down", as though going through de-evolution of brain and perception.
I've had an increased feeling that seizures aren't just a human brain going through a trauma, but moreso like a human brain becoming an entirely different brain, forcing self-thinking out. Seizures aren't me. Seizures are what my body experiences when my brain gets hijacked by a different wavelength!

Lol it does feel like that sometimes! One of my seizures honestly feels like my brain is a computer overclocking, everything gets staticy and fuzzy then it reboots. I get wicked headaches from those too.

I know the "head spinning" feeling, I often feel like I have water in my head and its sloshing around making me feel off balance rather than actually spinning. Haven't had a sense of doom but, and this freaks me out a lot, I sometimes find myself a little bit angry for no reason then within seconds it has blossomed into full blown homicidal rage then boom seizure town. Unfortunately it happens so fast I can't warn anyone but apparently I sometimes grind my teeth right before the seizure hits when I have those "anger auras"

I've never had an aura that starts days before a seizure. They would usually only start about 5 minutes or so before the seizure but recently I've had a few that will start a half hour or longer before the seizure.

It usually happens in the morning when I first get out of bed. The only way that I really know how to describe it is that I feel like can't wake up. I don't know if they are starting when I'm still asleep or not.

I feel . . vibrate-y. . . tingly and like my muscles and nerves are almost vibrating at a super fast but infintessimal level. I get like that before I get myoclonic seizures but not partials.

I've never had an aura that starts days before a seizure. They would usually only start about 5 minutes or so before the seizure but recently I've had a few that will start a half hour or longer before the seizure.

It usually happens in the morning when I first get out of bed. The only way that I really know how to describe it is that I feel like can't wake up. I don't know if they are starting when I'm still asleep or not.
That's why I'm not 100% it's an aura because I do get auras before seizures as well as this weird feeling

I found at least 1 other thread about this jenagade, you're right, people do describe this as being separate from auras:

"building up" to a seizure?

There have also been a lot of threads about alert dogs and animals being able to sense seizures- and a few people have said they'll know in advance as well, so maybe they'll be experiencing this strange feeling.

Puppy wont leave my side?!?
Seizure response dogs

As I've mentioned before, I used to have a Yorkie cross that knew when I was going to have one- sometimes well in advance- and would act completely out of character, and be fussing all around, trying to get as close as possible..

I understand a lot of people will put this down to auras, but when your condition doesn't include them, or only very quick ones that go straight into a t-c- and this 'feeling' can be a day or two in advance and doesn't feel like an aura, then maybe it is down to something else.

I've experienced it lots as well, and just put it down to being part of my condition- and I'm thankful for it, as I usually only get a few seconds aura to get on the floor, so at least I will know something's going to happen soon..

My dog is the worst when it comes to seizures, he can't sense them but he barks at me while I'm having them, kinda good if no one is in the room with me not so good otherwise because sound is one of my triggers lol. Also if I'm on the ground too long he will start nibbling on my fingers or toes and pawing at me. Very sweet but also a pain lol.

It's weird because I kind of hope that it doesn't happen that way anymore. Auras are awful. A dragging down through a feeling of quickly growing helplessness along with a feeling of "braining-down", as though going through de-evolution of brain and perception.

My daughter always has an aura before a big seizure, and for the past few months she has been having them frequently by themselves as well (simple partials). As her mom, I am REALLY grateful for her aura because so far she has never gotten injured from a tonic-clonic seizure because she always has a warning. But she feels the way you do - she HATES her auras. For her it is the worst part, to feel a seizure coming and not be able to do anything about it.

Epilepsy bites.

Back
Top Bottom