AED's and anti-depressants

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

jenagade

New
Reaction score
Does anyone find it hard to balance anti-depressants with their AED's?

It took me 8 years before finding a treatment for depression which worked, Venlafaxine (Effexor XR). When I first started AED's I was on 400mg of Tegratol and 150mg of Venlafaxine and everything was nicely balanced until I started having breakthrough seizures. My neurologist increased the Tegratol dose to 600mg and I started having more seizures along with a host of undesirable side effects, one being that it seemed to render the Venlafaxine completely ineffective. I have now had the Venlafaxine increased to 300mg and am reducing the Tegratol and switching on to Lamactil, currently at 200mg and both the seziures and depression are in full swing.

I'm just worried that I'm going to get stuck in a cycle of tweaking one medication and having the other one get thrown out of balance and I'm sure someone here has gone through, or is going through the same thing.

I use prozac. I know it's weird, because it's such an old drug, but it's just always been the best one for me. Anyway, I do have to tweak it all the time with my AEDs but it's not been too complicated. I take anywhere from 5mg (barely enough to even do anything but somehow it helps me) and 20mg (the usual lowest dose for normal people--I'm weird.) I suppose you can see it two ways: as a maintenance effort or a constant struggle. Either way, same needs, same outcome. The good thing is that after a while docs get a feel for what you need in relation to your AEDs, so it's been a year since my doc started changing my antidepressant dose with my AED changes before any problems could happen.

P.S. Never met a gamer who likes crafts before. I'm also a crafts/gaming fan: I hope nobody else reads this but I do embroidery.:paperbag:

I used to take prozac and it worked really well for a while but I got used to it so it was ineffective.

P.S. Never met a gamer who likes crafts before. I'm also a crafts/gaming fan: I hope nobody else reads this but I do embroidery.:paperbag:

Its funny you say that because I am in the process of making a phone cover for myself with an embroidered sugar skull on it lol, I'm not very good at emroidery but the messy stitching kinda works on this. I tend to do more millinery and jewellery making. Kinda hard to do now with my shakey hands but I keep it up to try and improve that

AEDs I end up with depressants reall bad by some of them and I'm prone to depression.
antidresspants don't really work that well I need to get off the AED.

Back
Top Bottom