AEDS and concentration

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Since starting on the meds 9 years ago I've noticed that year by year my ability to focus and concentrate, and my cognitive abilities and short term memory has been drastically effected. has anyone else noticed this? I know that with each grand mal seizure thousands of neuronsare fried and that has some effect. But these meds are reallt f-ing with me. I have noticed that I am a little better since coming off the trileptal (major depression and severe memory issues), then "keppra-gate". I jusy want to know if I am alone out there. I swear I feel as if there are things I have to re-learn, and re-boot

with all the AEDs I've been on concentration was never a problem. I also started using some AEDs 50 years ago.Mysoline was the worst for me it made hard to live with and I was only only on it a few days made me phychotic. Just about every AED I've been on can depress real bad I went through that as a teen, and as a young adult.

Since starting on the meds 9 years ago I've noticed that year by year my ability to focus and concentrate, and my cognitive abilities and short term memory has been drastically effected. has anyone else noticed this? I know that with each grand mal seizure thousands of neuronsare fried and that has some effect. But these meds are reallt f-ing with me. I have noticed that I am a little better since coming off the trileptal (major depression and severe memory issues), then "keppra-gate". I jusy want to know if I am alone out there. I swear I feel as if there are things I have to re-learn, and re-boot

Tiggys Mom:

I've been on AEDs since 1979 and as a result, I've lost most of my short term memory, poor gait and co-ordination.

My seizures are 95% controlled.
As a result of all this, I've had my driver's licence removed, was forced into early "medical" retirement b/c the meds were slowing me down. I was a supervisor but now I couldn't react as quickly to certain situations like before.
My employer (of 30 yrs) thought it was having a negative affect on the business.

But what's the trade off?
No more meds or side effects and the risk of a seizure vs AEDs and no seizures but side effects, It's a HUGE gamble so decide which is worse.

Randy

Back
Top Bottom