After having a seizure...

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

mspang

Stalwart
Reaction score
Are there many people that will throw up and feel horrible for the rest of the day? Also by chance if someone has this problem is ther anything you take that makes you feel better?

Thanks

-Mike

Are you talking tonic-clonic, or partials? I think nausea is fairly common post-t-c -- I know I've experienced that. I haven't had partial seizures, so other folks will need to weigh in.

I've found that staying horizontal helps, preferably in a dark room with minimal noise or stimulation. Make sure to drink a little water throughout the day, juice if you can handle it. Keep any food on the bland side, and keeps the amounts small until your stomach recovers. Bananas or hard-boiled eggs work for me, particularly if my mouth is sore too.

After complex partials and tonic clonics I'm usually very tired and will sleep for hours. A good bit of times I'll sleep a lot the next day too. I'll get very bad migraine headaches sometimes and I'll lay down in a dark room with an ice pack on my head and block out noise, this helps some.

After a simple partial I may feel a little sick but it doesn't last long. I think it's mostly because I'll be feeling dizzy and really can't see strait while I'm having the seizure.

I find I have to give my girl pain relief, gets very tired and agitated.
Sometimes she doesn't need to sleep.

To mspang.
can you ask your Dr if there's stuff to take to reduce nausea..?
My daughter refuses to eat sometimes for a few hours post seizure, when she's ready for something I'll just give her toast, something not too heavy.

I can totally relate! I'm a puking mess after tonics...and a rambling mess too...and usually very hateful...and don't remember usually being so weird to my family and stuff I might add....my head hurts so badly and I can't keep anything down let alone a pain pill for the headaches...I sleep all day long...I swear the aftermath is far worse than the seizures themselves...people can't even begin to comprehend what it takes out of you...

Luckily my parents and husband understand (if that's really the right way to put it) what it's like for me when I have a seizure.

They know I don't remember a thing that happened during it and sometimes we get a laugh about the things that I did because they've been pretty funny. They know I'm very tired after the seizure and the next day too, all I do is sleep.

They know I have a horrible migraine headache. I've never been able to find any med that helps with the headache so I just have to deal with it until it goes away. I went to a headache dr and tried every med that she gave me but nothing worked. She gave me a shot that I was able to give myself. Since you can't keep anything down maybe you can look into that?

Back
Top Bottom