Always wondered whether or not its really Epilepsy. Can anyone relate?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I've never ever known how to describe what would be referred to as an attack with myself. Hence I've never been able to fully tell doctors what was going on etc. But maybe someone here can understand what I mean?

Whenever I've had my blackouts (they called it Petit Mal at the time) it always started with me possibly hearing something that made me feel uncomfortable. Or seeing it. Or whatever. Then, my brain being an idiot, I wouldn't be able to stop thinking about it. It would go over and over in my head until it was almost like I was experiencing whatever made me uncomfortable. Pretty rubbish really. Then I'd get really warm, my hearing would feel like I was in a box, the light around me would dim and, BOOM, I come to a minute or three later feeling really cold, with a ringing in my ears usually, and on the floor. Usually with people around me fully freaked out.

During said few minutes I'd always experience a different reality, that I'd accept as real instantly. For example, one fairly bizarre one involved me being present in the room of Edvard Munch's mothers deathbed, I remember it being a red room and very dark and quiet. Then as I came to it was literally like reality bled through like cleaning a windscreen or something.

I think that's about everything.

But anyway. Does any of this sound familiar to anyone? Obviously not the Munch bit...

Last edited:
I get ringing in my ears quite a bit and it's a side effect of one of the meds I'm on, Tegretol I believe. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

When I fill out my paperwork before I see my neuro 'ringing in the ears' is a question on there to mark yes or no to. I'm not sure if it can be something that may lead to a seizure or not.

Sometimes during auras/simple partials I'll see things that aren't there. There could be a person in the room or the furniture is in the wrong place. I know these things aren't actually happening but they just are. I may feel dizzy and have tingling in my lips and fingers.

After this I might black out and go into a complex partial which I don't know that I did unless some one was there to see it happen. When I come out of it I feel completely normal and have no clue about what went on during the complex partial. I will still remember what happened during the simple partial though.

Val,
I get wringing in the ears also but it's not from a seizure, I'm also on Tegretol and have been since 1975 when it came out.:agree:

technician412,Throughout life I experience something that I think is in the ballpark with what you are describing. I don't black out, but I don't remember what happened when I am under the highest pressure. I am convinced it has to do with early trauma that I can nearly guess -- and at some point somebody might say it is a seizure. For some reason right now I don't think I will like that.

Back
Top Bottom