Ambulatory EEG

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

davidmc

New
Reaction score
I thought my 72 hour EEG test was going to be in the hospital, but it's not, it's going to be an ambulatory EEG test, not sure if I've spelt that right but never mind. lol
I will have to go back to the hospital to get the wires changed they said on the phone before finally taking it back for good.
Would have prefered it to be in hospital, but again the hospital gives me the wrong information, don't really like the idea of having wires on my head in public. lol At least it's going ahead this time though, the appointment is in November and should get confirmation in the post.

What do I do if the wires come off while I'm at home, is this a possibility?
If I come off the Topamax, how long gradually should I do it?

Hi David,

I can understand your hesitation and reluctance about having the ambulatory EEG test outside of a hospital setting, but you may have a better chance of seizure activity if you are in settings that may be triggering your seizures. It increases the odds. If you know that (as an example) going into an environment, i.e., Walmart, (bright lights, noise, lots of movement etc.,) may be a trigger, then you have the freedom to do so, which may increase the chances of it showing up on the EEG.

If being around barking dogs, or the strobing of a TV in the dark, sun bouncing between trees while driving, etc., does it, then you also increase your chances of something showing up.

If some of the wiring becomes detached, you will need to have them reattached. That may mean that they will have to reschedule you for another appointment.

Hope everything goes well for you in November. Best of luck. :tup:

Edited to add: With regard to your question about Topamax, it might be best to ask your doctor about that, as there are withdrawal side-effects that may not be advantageous for you in a public setting, i.e., dizziness.

Last edited:
Hi David,

I can understand your hesitation and reluctance about having the ambulatory EEG test outside of a hospital setting, but you may have a better chance of seizure activity if you are in settings that may be triggering your seizures. It increases the odds. If you know that (as an example) going into an environment, i.e., Walmart, (bright lights, noise, lots of movement etc.,) may be a trigger, then you have the freedom to do so, which may increase the chances of it showing up on the EEG.

If being around barking dogs, or the strobing of a TV in the dark, sun bouncing between trees while driving, etc., does it, then you also increase your chances of something showing up.

If some of the wiring becomes detached, you will need to have them reattached. That may mean that they will have to reschedule you for another appointment.

Hope everything goes well for you in November. Best of luck. :tup:

Edited to add: With regard to your question about Topamax, it might be best to ask your doctor about that, as there are withdrawal side-effects that may not be advantageous for you in a public setting, i.e., dizziness.

Thanks. A trigger for me is basically anything with artificial sweeteners in really, so can make sure I definately have a seizure while I have the EEG, will have more than one though.

I forgot I was seeing another neurologist in Liverpool before this EEG, seeing him next month, so although it's not at the same hospital and he was rude and didn't listen, will ask his advice about the Topamax.
My seizures are simple partial seizures.
Will just have to give up cycling for a while before and during the EEG test.
Before the Topamax, I was getting a lot of seizures and no sleep hardly (kept waking up and taking hours to get to sleep), so I imagine that will happen again, so even without drinking or eating any triggers, may still be able to have some seizures.

Don't worry about going out in public....have you see people lately? You'll fit right it :) Just have a staple gun ready if any of the wires come off. (kidding) It would be effective though......

Don't worry about going out in public....have you see people lately? You'll fit right it :) Just have a staple gun ready if any of the wires come off. (kidding) It would be effective though......

I'm not busy on the days it's due to be on, so apart from going to the hospital, I don't need to go out. lol
The test was meant to be in hospital, nobody mentioned anything about an ambulatory EEG to me before I phoned up the appointments line when I got the letter (sometimes they send a letter to book an appointment). But at least it's going ahead, well hopefully. lol

davidmc

I have had 2 EEG in the Dr. office (there only a few hours) - I never had a seizure.

So being that it is a 72 hour. I didn't know they did them that long.

And like someone said early, you will fix right in.

davidmc

I have had 2 EEG in the Dr. office (there only a few hours) - I never had a seizure.

So being that it is a 72 hour. I didn't know they did them that long.

And like someone said early, you will fix right in.

I had 2 EEG tests in the hospital, one was 30 minutes I think, and one was around 40 minutes. There are Video Telemetry EEG tests that they can do that are done overnight for a period of days, where they video you and you have the EEG tests on permantly I think. I had been promised this test by Adam Zermanksy, he assured me it would definately go ahead. Months passed, and I heard nothing, then I found out that it had been cancelled - the reason given was because my "routine EEG test was normal". The way they work at Salford Royal is apparently to only do the Video Telemetry if the EEG test is abnormal - but surely it wouldn't be needed then? Because they would have caught something in that case.

Anyway, the 72 hour EEG test is put on at hospital, I imagine it's some portable unit, then I can go home with it on. Looking on the bright side, I will be free to purchase my triggers, and will be able to use the internet. Will be staying at my sisters, so will be safe enough.
I think this test will probably be best for me as I believe my partial seizures are simple partial motor seizures.

Last edited:
Make sure you ask the technicians who set up the ambulatory EEG what to do if any of the sensors fall off, or stop working. Let us know how it goes!

Make sure you ask the technicians who set up the ambulatory EEG what to do if any of the sensors fall off, or stop working. Let us know how it goes!

Thanks, will do, that's what I'm worried about. lol

Back
Top Bottom