Amusement Park Rides - Triggers?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Blondie47

New
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

My 13 year old went on one ride last night and had a simple partial seizure this afternoon.

She has not had a seizure in seven weeks - wondering if rides are triggers?

It was her first ride (my husband went on with her) since she was diagnosed in October.
Currently taking Oxcarbazepine 600mg 2x daily.

Yes, it's

possible. It may be that's she's photosensitive to some pattern that occurred during the ride or something else in particular about the ride. A lot of amusement parks have warning signs out warning that if you have E there are specific rides you shouldn't ride them........

Also, even if she isn't photosensitive it is possible that the adrenaline from the excitement of being on a ride might trigger a seizure.

Of course it's also possible that the ride had nothing to do with it. I know if something like that were to trigger my seizures it would most likely be right there & then.

If the seizure was the next day though, I would question if it was triggered by more than one thing after another, maybe the lack of sleep from knowing she's going, the excitement of being there, the adrenaline from the ride, maybe the sugar in the fair food (if she had any) plus whatever else is going on in her life, until everything combined finally triggered the seizure.

Any change of routine/environment can potentially be a seizure trigger. So it could be the amusement park ride (changing balance and equilibrium), or the environment of the ride (sounds, strobes), or the stress from being at the park (being in the sun for a prolonged period of time, or drinking and/or eating different from normally, fatigue). As epileric says above, it could be cumulative as well. The start of seizure activity can sometimes be detected in the brain even 24 to 48 hours prior to the seizure, so the cause can be something you might not ordinarily suspect.

The best way to identify a seizure trigger is to keep a journal (may be hard with a 13-year old, though). If the seizures occur several weeks apart, that can be a big help in pinpointing potential triggers.

Best,
Nakamova

I have had experience in having a ride-induced seizure, and the effects were immediate. Down in Galveston several years ago, our family went to the IMAX theatre. There was an interactive movie that involved the seats moving every which way. There was a sign that said people with seizures shouldn't go in this particular theatre. What can I say; I wanted to see the movie. As soon as the seats started moving, I passed out. I was in and out for the duration of the movie.

Turns out, riding in a car or on a motorcycle over a bumpy road can cause me to seize as well.

Back
Top Bottom