amusement parks?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

aboizd1

Pillar
Reaction score
Anybody have hesitiation towards amusement parks, carnivals, rollercoasters... is it recommended to not do these things?

Still have only had two seizures(ever! when sleeping too!)..its now been 2 and a half months-I won't push my limits by any means, I'll accept my docs answers -but I'm still a bit skeptical as to whether the seizures are just fluke..maybe its denial? i guess..

I'm not ready to give up everything fun in my life..or well fun things in the future anyways..I want to go to disneyland again :)

any thoughts?

I go to amusement parks...but you're going to find that there are a lot of rides that you shouldn't do. For example roller coasters. I'm pretty much stuck at the kiddie rides. :) But that's ok...as the main reason I go to amusement parks is to spend the day with my family. Your seizures have been at night, so your doc may have no problem with you going on amusement park rides...just ask. The worst they can say is no. :) Just make sure that you get plenty of rest the night before and the night after, and that you don't overdo the sodas and sugary food.

I think I've outgrown those rides (I'd rather go bungee jumping) but I'd never let my seizures stop me from any rides at an amusement park.

I ride all amusement park rides, fast and slow.

Awwww I can't imagine my life without the Disney parks, I have to give Mickey a hug at least once a year.

okay, i forgot a detail!

in hypothetical terms (as i don't know cause i've only had the two) is there a time with rides that seizures would be more likely.... for instance..on the ride, right after, later in the day- or for me make them more likely to occur upon waking up?

you guys are so smart!

Rides? No Way!!!

Now, that has nothing to do with seizures. I'm just plain chicken! I'd rather eat candy apples, and cotton candy, and Funnel cakes, and hot dogs, and extra spicy barbeque, and, now what was that other one? .......well, you get the point.

From personal experience, avoid electric bumper cars. The first time I went on this "ride" I had a seizure right then and there. I guess the electrical current scrambled my brain enough to cause it. I would also avoid anything that includes strobe lights, I did not have a seizure but I got that weird feeling as if I might.What an ordeal, I thank God my mother was with me. I haven't been to an amusement park since. That said, I wouldn't rule out the enjoyment you get from going. Just be mindful of what rides might affect you.

I hope not I love rides, Even at 44. I'd worry a little bit about reflex seizures. I suffered from them as a young child but outgrew them.

I agree with renee & the strobe light issue. Also, you may want to avoid any rides that give a warning over an intercom like, "If you have a heart condition or are prone to having seizures, please avoid this ride." And use common sense: if you're exhausted, take a break, or avoid the ride until you're completely rested. Hope this helps, aboizd & continue enjoying those rides [within reason, of course :)]!

Back
Top Bottom