Another doc down the drain..

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Dignan

Stalwart
Reaction score
Just had an infuriating doc visit this morning that led to us "mutually agreeing" that I wont be returning to this doc again.

It was with an endocrinologist I use to get certain testing done that my neuro says he wouldnt know about. I do it to establish baselines and keep an eye on things related to med side effects and prior to med changes and such. Like many of you, mine is a "difficult case" so I expect a certain amount of leeway and a two way street as far as listening goes to ensure that I am getting done what I feel needs to be done.

So, I go in with my list of things and questions that I want to discuss, and I dont get the doc who knows my issue, instead the send in a PA. Now that would be fine if the person was at all familiar with my needs, but she starts by asking me basic questions like if I have seen a neurologist.. I could not hide my disgust and frustration at having to "educate" yet another medical professional and I proceeded to tell her, "only for the past 20 years." Then she asked me another basic question, as though it were my first visit, and so I spewed out rapid fire why I was there, what I expected, my reasoning for asking for what I was asking, and why I should speak to the doctor.

She looked overwhelmed and went and got the doctor. An office manager came in first and asked if I was dissatisfied with anything. So I calmly told her how I had to make an appointment, do a basic CBC and metabolic panel, come in and review with the doc, just so I could ask about what I really wanted done, then go get that testing, and come back for a second visit to get those results. I told her I was fine with that if that is what I had to do, because my neuro and GP admitted these things were out of their fields, and I was therefore left to my own devices to see these things addressed properly. I explained my problem was when I came in here today, it was clear I wasnt going to get to speak to the doc and even get a chance to discuss my concerns or other baseline testing I wanted done, instead feeling as though this was a basic "check up" which wasted my time and money.

She said when I was done with the doc I could speak to her about coordinating with my other physicians. The doc came in and told me all my testing was normal (again CBC and basic metabolic panel) and there was nothing else for me to do except speak to my neuro. I told him again the neuro suggested I see someone like an endo and asked about the other maintenance and baseline reference testing I wanted, but he cut me off and said he didnt see that would help anything, then told me he would send my records to my GP (which will accomplish nothing), which was his way of telling me we were done here.

Now I was pissed, so I said just give me a copy of the last blood work you did for my file. The assistant said I think we only need to see you on an as needed basis, and I told her I dont see any reason to come back here. Then when I got to the front, the manager who was going to talk to me about coordinating my care, hid in the back room and said she didnt need to speak to me after all. So, I proceeded to walk out with none of them willing to even look me in the eye.

I clearly was perturbed by the situation, but at no time did I loose my cool, or show any outward anger to anyone, aside from displeasure at how the situation was handled. I felt like they treated me like the crazy person who has nothing wrong, but keeps bothering the doc for no reason.

This sort of thing happens way too much. I think these docs run out of ideas, and dont know what to do with me (as far as treating something), so they punt and send me down the road. All I wanted was someone willing to do some annual testing to keep an eye on things, or to establish baselines in case of a med change.

Completely ridiculous.

Dignan - one word: ARRRGH!!! So infuriating. Wish you could see the docs I have been so fortunate enough to have encountered. But having said that there is even some testing I have researched that in an ideal world would be done to monitor things, such as adrenal health which if I remember correctly is negatively influenced by some medications, that I cannot convince anyone to do despite my providing the docs with studies that have been done by reputable sources. Why we have to do our own research like this when doctors are being paid to do it is beyond me. What happens with those people who for various reasons are incapable of looking out for their own health and doing research??

Last edited:
Dignan

Its nice the way you get treated when you visit some doctors, NOT REALLY, I feel sorry you had to go through all this and put up with the crap they dished out. I hate it when you get a PA who asks you the same questions that are in your file for the last 50 years with the answers. I went through a similar situation as you a while ago but I got angry in the end. Telling me that they decide "wrong" WE decide, its our lives that are at stake.

You are right to "mutually agree" about returning.

You are right it happens way to much and in too many Places, not just Texas. How to fix this I have no idea, but take away their ego would be a help.

Dignan, I appreciate that you posted your blow by blow and I will read it again. When I am handled, the way those people were handling you, I go dead and end up in zombieland the way they are.But this is MY LIFE, damn it. So my main aim these days is to come out of the doctor's office alive, which means honing my ability to say what I mean when nobody wants to hear it. So if you say what you mean, the zombie medical personnel are going to hear you as angry and obnoxious, and you Stay The Course no matter what they think.[That's what I tell myself. I am getting somewhat better at it with some major set backs.] So you did well. But such a headache.

I used to see my neuros PA every few visits. She was the biggest bitch in the world. She never listened to anything I had to say, she said what she wanted to and that was that.

The last time I saw her (about 10 years ago) I had been having a lot of seizures. She told me that it was because I wasn't taking my meds or taking the right dosages when I did. I told her that I was. Both my husband and mother were at that visit with me and they told her I was too. I even had an alarm set on my phone to make sure I took them on time. We got into a huge fight, I think there was even yelling involved, about it in the office about me 'not taking my meds'.

When the visit was over and I went to make my next apt with my neuro I told them that I was NEVER going to see the PA again. I believe there was yelling involved with this too. I told them if I wasn't only going to see the neuro at each visit then I was going to find another dr to go to.

Ever since then I've only seen the neuro. The PA won't even look at me when I'm in the waiting room. I think she's scared of me now!

And I think she might lose her job if she looks at you. You bet she's scared of you!

Oh, Dignan, that sux.

GRRRRRR......

I think it is a mix of medical "professionals" being intimidated by someone who knows more than they do about their own health concerns and also them being pissed off that you, who are ONLY the patient, dares to stand up and make it known exactly what you want and why.

Walking out was indeed the best option. It's just a shame that it has to be that way. Keep voting with your feet until you find a good one.

I've seen more neuros /epileptologist some of the best docs in the country. With e being refractory and med resistant, it doesn't do any good they don't read my file they ask me my medical history and the only things that work to control some are old drugs phenobarb and Topamax,Tegretol.

I've been told I'll never stop having seizures to just accept it. I did that long ago it doesn't mean I have to like it.:soap:

Belinda, I have posted that she will "never stop having seizures so just accept it." on my special place for especially STINKY ZINGERS on my refrigerator door. It is right up there with AlohaBird's "...don't you worry your pretty little epileptic head about the potential, possible, occasional, non-significant, rare, eventuality of all those nasty side effects... So let's see how we do on this one."

Bidwell,why worry about my seizures if it happens it happens that's life.:e::twocents:

Belinda, I have posted that she will "never stop having seizures so just accept it." on my special place for especially STINKY ZINGERS on my refrigerator door. It is right up there with AlohaBird's "...don't you worry your pretty little epileptic head about the potential, possible, occasional, non-significant, rare, eventuality of all those nasty side effects... So let's see how we do on this one."
Hah! Thanks, Bidwell. honored to be included.
We could start a whole thread entitled "S**t My Neurologist Says"............

I think there is a perpetual power struggle between patients and doctors. We are interested in getting better. They are interested in maintaining the status quo because there is no personal profit in it for them. They get paid whether they help us or not. I think that needs to change, but it won't. We pay for what we think we will get, and it is unknown, since we didn't go to medical schools ourselves. Doctor's are unaccountable. They consistently violate the Hippocratic Oath. They don't acknowledge their mistakes, and in so doing they are diminishing how we view them. I a hopeful that empowered well educated patients will eventually change this culture.

Goodness Gracious, Michael!!!! Your point of view may be even more cynical than mine! I will have to think it over!

Goodness Gracious, Michael!!!! Your point of view may be even more cynical than mine! I will have to think it over!

I can certainly see why I may be viewed as cynical. However, I consider myself a realist. Percepton of reality should not drive our decisions; reality should.

To me, a realist is better equipped to deal with life than an optimist or a pessimist. Once I understand what reality it, I can then focus on how to deal with it, and more importantly, how to change it. I used to thnk I was singled out in my experiences with doctors, for some unknown reason. That belief is changing, since there are many people who have had similar experiences.

Last edited:
They are interested in maintaining the status quo because there is no personal profit in it for them. They get paid whether they help us or not.
Not all doctors. Speaking as someone who has friends and relatives who are doctors.

Thank you, Nakamova. I was just sitting here laughing to myself about my desire to protect doctors in this exchange with Michael when I so often am so angry at the whole lot of them. But I actually think MANY doctors are not like that.

Back
Top Bottom