Antidepressants and myoclonic jerks?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hi there. I'm 17 years old and have been on antidepressants just before turning 16. I was on Prozac for a few months but then was swtitched to Zoloft. I started on 50mg, then 75mg, then 100mg, and then finally jumped to the maximum dose, 200mg (around January).

I am also on Zyprexa- forgot how much.

Just a little side note- I am very proud and happy to say that after a year dealing with these drugs and numerous mental hospitalizations, I have recovered from self-harm and suicidal idealization. It was a long battle(still is) dealing with self-hatred, secrecy, and never-ending guilt. The cutting got so bad to the point of numerous times requiring stitching of my fatty and dermal tissue.
The last time ever I self-harmed was in early April (stabbing myself with glass) until I just had it.

However, I am reminded of it daily by thick scars on my wrist, arm, thighs, and hip. I get nervous when people who don't know about my situation just stare at my scars---I'm scared of how the neurologist might react or ask/say. :S

Okay, anywho....has anyone ever experienced moclonic jerking of the extremities while on Antidepressants? Can this somehow be related? Can these drugs cause seizure disorders?

I'll be visiting for the first time my neurologist on Wednesday and will probably be ordered some tests through the remainder of the week.

I want to thank all those who have responded to my other thread in "The Foyer." You've been of much help!

I hope you're all doing well!!!!!

Congrats on your recovery! I hope you have continued success in staying healthy.

This was listed under Zyprexa side effects:
Side Effects
Some of the more minor side effects of using Zyprexa include dry mouth, dizziness, and drowsiness. You can become constipated and unable to have a bowel movement. Sudden and involuntary motions, such as jerking movements of your head, neck, arms, legs, and eyes can also be a side effect of Zyprexa. These involuntary movements can also occur in the tongue, mouth, and jaw and in some instances are irreversible. The increase of blood sugar levels that can lead to diabetes is another distinct possibility with Zyprexa. It can also lead to an increase in weight and can raise fat levels in your bloodstream.

Muscle spasms or jerking of all extremities is also listed as a "less common" side effect of Zoloft.

Definitely let your doctors know about the myoclonus you are experiencing.

So, guys, I just came back from visiting my psychiatrist. Towards the end, Mom and I mentioned the jerks. She agreed with me in saying that like all Anti-PSYCHOTICS, Zyprexa reduces the seizure threshold. However, I'm at a low dose and she just lowered it even more today. Maybe this drug brough out the symptoms that would have otherwise came to light later in my life by making me more prone to seizure?? Just maybe.

She did encourage me to see the Neurologist tomorrow.

Last night I got a weird type of jerk. It involved my legs(bilaterally). Roughly a second before my legs jerk inwards, I had a tingling sensation in one of my toes in my left foot...like a needle. And then they jerked. It was verly early in the morning, just past midnight. Of course, I was awakened before it all happened(as I usually am).

Hopefully, tomorrow I
ll be able to cleary and descriptively describe everything that's been going on to the doctor. If he ordered an EEG, which is most likely, then I pray that we will find an appointment to undergo one soon.

I'll definitely update tomorrow with a new thread.

Hi! I'm on Mirtazepine 45mg and in the past, throughout my life in fact, I've been on antidepressants. Most of the antidepressants list seizures as something to mention to your GP. I started having myoclonic jerks in 2003 when I wasn't on any antidepressants, but they increased in 2009 when I was put on Mirtazepine. My GP tells me not to look at the info sheet that comes with the pills - in other words, I'm your GP so if I prescribe a drug for you then you should be fine. My myoclonic jerks stopped when I started Tegretol and later Clonazepam last year.
:)

Nicholas, thank you for sharing your experience with me. I never thought these could have anything to do with the pills I'm taking...well, maybe they don't.

I'll be seeing a neurologist for the first time tomorrow.

just one thing I wanted to say is I also used to be a cutter. I never had stitches but should have on a couple. I also used to burn myself. I'm now nearly 32 and haven't cut since I was 16. I, have numerous scars and the worry over them fades in time. If you ever want to talk about it, message me.

just one thing I wanted to say is I also used to be a cutter. I never had stitches but should have on a couple. I also used to burn myself. I'm now nearly 32 and haven't cut since I was 16. I, have numerous scars and the worry over them fades in time. If you ever want to talk about it, message me.

Congratulations on beating self-harm!!
It is something horrible..... Once we reach the point that we just want to run away from ourselves but can't.

Right now I'm getting ready to go to the neurologist( also nervous about his reaction to the scars- they're very thick) so I'll be more available for any messaging in the afternoon. :)

Once again, It warms my heart to hear of a recovered self-harmer.

Back
Top Bottom