Anybody have trouble remembering their meds?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

epileric

Veteran
Reaction score
I came across this article & thought it might be helpful to some people.

Several smartphone apps are available to help patients take their medications as prescribed. Here's a sampling of several free apps, noting some of their special features:

1. MedCoach. Includes feature to connect to your pharmacy to order refills.

2. RxmindMe. From Walgreens. Offers the ability to easily export prescription information.

3. Pill Monitor. Enables you email a log of prescriptions taken.

4. Care4Today. From a unit of Johnson & Johnson. It includes options to monitor the medication use of loved ones and to donate to a charity each day you take all medicine on time.

5. Med Helper. Enables you to export results to doctors, nurses and caregivers.

6. Pill Reminder. From the Drugs.com website. Enables users to set up accounts for multiple family members.

7. Medisafe. Supports Spanish, French, German, Russian and Danish languages, as well as English.

If you don't have a smartphone, there are services to just get reminders:

1. Snoozester.com. Sends automated calls or texts to a cellphone or landline for free.

2. VSReminder, at vinade.com. Sends free text or email reminders, for medication use and events, and supports 130 cellphone service providers.

3. OnTimeRx.com. Sends reminders via text, phone call or email. Charges a small fee.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory/smartphone-apps-patients-meds-23349163

Regular phone alarm works as well. Just name the alarm, "Time to take your med". ;)

I also use an alarm on my cell phone, works just great! I take my meds 3 times a day and I have 3 different alarms set to go off for each time.

This got me wondering so I searched for "epilepsy" apps on my phone & found quite a variety from ones that are useless (like the aforementioned reminders) to ones that look pretty useful like the ones that help you track your seizures or educate people about seizures, meds & what to do if someone does have a T/C seizure.

https://play.google.com/store/search?q=epilepsy&c=apps

My mind is like a self-aware machine...but like every machine it is imperfect and has it's flaws...habits exist/patterns emerge...but every now and then the mind has to "reset" and thus you forget...

I have a couple of systems to be redundant reminders. My meds are 12 hours apart so one group when I get up, another at dinner (5 am/5pm). I have a little vase that I keep by my bathroom sink (where the drugs are) which I put on the East side when the next dose is in the AM and on the West after that dose to remind me I need my evening dose. Then I have one of those AM/PM reminders. I found a great one on Amazon that has pods which you can pull off the strip. I turn it around after I take AM so that PM is obvious (versus the rest). And then there's the husband who always (well, mostly) asks me if I've taken them.

Usually I'm off by one or two hours and I take my medication like 7am to around 7pm, and usually I use an alarm clock on my cellphone (it isn't smartphone just cheap prepaid one) sounds off, however I mute it a lot so sometimes I'm off by perhaps one or two hours. Then I have a pill box which makes it easier, so I check it multiple times daily to make sure I took it. Usually it's just comes to me naturally to take it now days. I was having really bad memory issues, and now that I'm on only two pills of keppra it has stopped and I feel a lot better.

My mind is like a self-aware machine...but like every machine it is imperfect and has it's flaws...habits exist/patterns emerge...but every now and then the mind has to "reset" and thus you forget...

So its like a computer's history? Do you ever browse in "private mode"?

I have an app on my phone "RxMindme" the alarm goes off at 10 am, and I check the box when I take it. Helps me remember that I did take it, so I don't double up!

Regular phone alarm works as well. Just name the alarm, "Time to take your med". ;)

I just have a cheap flip phone but can set 3 alarm times with it. I need 4 alarms but my bladder is the 4th alarm, I take thyroid meds anywhere from 2 AM - 4 AM, so I never have to worry about having food in my stomach.

Back
Top Bottom