anybody know ??

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Hand of Blood

Stalwart
Reaction score
what vitamins I can take to make me feel not sleepy!! at the min I am taking vitamin b complex, just ones u buy so theres not much in it!....... im always so tired and my eyes r all puffy and I look like a stoner lol

You may be able to get a stronger vit b complex tablet on prescription Xx
Are you getting enough sleep at night and have constant bed and wake up times ??

I just take a multi vitamin (for ladies or 50). Seems to work. I know my doctor strongly recommends them for any age group.

I found Green Tea capsules have helped my energy levels, but I also would recommend magnesium. Omega 3 is good for brain function. Why do you think your eyes are puffy? Is this from your meds or lack of sleep? Do you keep the same schedule of bedtime and morning rising as a ritual?

I get 8 hours sleep, I wake up as if I have never slept at all, my eyes feel puffy like I been awake for nights
I don't keep the same times every morning and I never take my tabs 12 hours apart I know I should but I just take them early morning and night when I get sat down at night

can u buy magnesium?? I know if I go to docs asking for all this stuff they will look at me daft!

Yes, magnesium is available over the counter, either by itself or part of a multivitamin. Often it's bundled with calcium and vitamin D, since they work together.

Speaking of magnesium, I take magnesium as magnesium malate. it's a pricier version of mag. (tartrate and aspartate something or other being other types) but I hear it has a better absorption ("bioavailability") than the others, which may lead you to just expel (diarrhea - ex: "milk of magnesia" is mag. oxide) out a lot of the magnesium, wasting you overall absorption value.

check out
www.globalhealingcenter.com/natural-health/types-of-magnesium/
for a good explanation of different types of magnesium
(I didn't know 'chalk' and Epsom salt are two types :eek: )
this website says mag. orotate is the best form of it

mag. is a heavy metal so it needs something to bind to to make it better absorbable, otherwise it goes right through you as a laxative (milk of magnesia and Epsom salt solution)

maybe the type of magnesium you're taking, through its laxative effects, is disallowing absorption of other nutrients by flushing your system when you poop.
are you pooping a lot? diarrhea? you need a more bio-available supplement.

maybe you're not getting enough mg which would have effect on your energy

mg is needed to help break down B vitamins too, and vit D plays a role in there too, and selenium.

check your magnesium type to see how much absorption is available
boost your vitamin D and calcium
eat some foods rich in selenium, but not too much. you might already eat such foods, but find a list online and check you're at least eating some.

here are some:
Brazil nuts (high in selenium, which you can get toxic on, so don't eat a lot)
sunflower seeds
fish ( tuna halibut sardines flounder salmon)
shellfish (oysters mussels shrimp clams scallops)
meat (beef, lamb, liver pork)
poultry (chicken, turkey)
eggs
mushrooms
grains (wheat germ, oats, barley, brown rice)
onions

I've been eating Cream of Wheat which is a great source for a lot of vitamins nutrients and minerals including selenium, copper, and magnesium! and fluoride folic acid, lutein
but oatmeal is good too, as long as it's not the stuff packed with sugar, but a little sugar isn't all that bad as long as your diet doesn't have a lot of sugar.

I forgot to add that I read that it's not likely to become hypermagnesmetic (is that a word?) to have too much absorbed (not diarrhea-ated) magnesium if you're healthy with healthy kidneys and liver (non-alcoholic/heavy drinker for one), because it's readily expelled in your urine

as always, drink plenty of water

Back
Top Bottom