Anyone capable of drinking, driving or both?

How many medications are you taking to contol your seizures?

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Mine occur weekly. My last ER grand mal was in November.

I have partial seizures with secondary generalised. I had my grand mal /tonic clonic seizures in my sleep and if it wasn't for my husband i wouldn't have even known, so can't be sure but I don't think I have had one since being on meds 2years. My last partial cluster was about a month ago but i forgot my medication.

So everyody who's answered and everyone who hasn't yet, if you don't mind me asking how often do you have seizures?

I'll have around 4 or 5 seizures a month. Lately however the ones that I have aren't bad at all. When I was having bad ones I would blank out. Now I usually don't blank out during them. A bad one for me now is when I just get completely confused about what I'm doing. The last one for instance, which is a bad one for me now, I couldn't figure out how to open my purse and find what I was looking for. I've mostly been having them where I just get dizzy or goofy feeling, I really don't know how to describe that though.

As I said above, I can have a drink or two every so often. But if I drink alot then I will have seizures.

You're not allowed/supposed to drink if you have epilepsy? Boy, am I bad...:ponder:

I'm currently suffering a horrid hangover after going out to celebrate a level results and getting into uni. My mum brought home some information from an NHS website saying that 3 units of alcohol should not effect my epilepsy at all however any more and I am risking it, although I did drink quite a lot last night and have not had a fit. That being said thye alcohol I do drink has more of an effect on me now. I had one small glass of white wine when we were cleaning up at work (i'm a waitress and my boss is awesome and offers us a drink if it has been really busy) and it made me really tired and a little bit dizzy. And I do not have a license as I applied before my fit (I was fit free for two years) however we updated them and understanably they rejected my request.

1 T/C 1988; 1 T/C 2002, 1 event (2 t/c's in 2 hrs) 2009, 1 event (2 t/c's in 2 hrs on 1/31/2011). The last two events were after they put me on an Indian generic. Now back to brand, no problem since.

Last edited:
drivers license

since 1974. I can have a drink, but one or two at the most. Just makes me more tired than I already am. I can not see how a drink on occasion can be any worse than the drugs that doctors have been trying to push on me for years - other than my AED.

I've had epilepsy 18 years since 1993 and haven't YET had a drink. I'm tempted now that I see its possible without seizures.

I can't drive as I've only been 4 months since my last seizure, however I can drink. I can drink A LOT.

I've never had a hangover either (I've been on epilepsy medication since I was around 13/14 so I hadn't started drinking) and I have no side effects of alcohol with my medication.

It's a big worry as I want to move to Topamax but the ONLY thing I like about Keppra is that I can get absolutely "wasted" on it.

When I 15 I started getting the seizures, at 16 I started the um "natural medication" and was fine on the days I had it. Days I hadn't I felt a little off. Then I was also drinking a little now n then. I had been taking my meds through that time, just not as strong. I got my license at 16. Then I stopped the "natural meds" at 22 to go to college. At that point I had very few, if any seizures. After that year I started again, the "natural meds" had no effect on my seizures, if anything I think they helped since I stopped them when my son came (he's 2 now) I started having the seizures again. I also drank in that period, some nights it was ALOT. I'm talking about 1 night at camp I hit the ground without breaking my fall. Since the seizures came back I tried a drink and 1 beer felt like 12. I haven't drank since and the doc doesn't want to try the other stuff, even though the seizures came back when I stopped. So now I can't drive, drink, or smoke :(

According to the Texas department of motor vehicles web site:
Reporting Unsafe Drivers
If you wish to report a Texas driver with a possible medical condition that may affect the ability to safely operate the vehicle, please submit the written concern detailing why the driver may be unsafe to operate a motor vehicle.

It states that physicians are not required by law (in Texas) to report patients. It has to be a written report documenting the person. Verbal reporting is not accepted.

Texas department of state health services:
Should I tell the Department of Public Safety (DPS) I have epilepsy?
Yes. If you have epilepsy, you should tell the DPS at the time you apply for your license. If you develop epilepsy after receiving your license, you should notify the DPS at that time.

Apparently I have never been reported, and I have not reported my epilepsy to DPS. If that is voluntary, I doubt that people are choosing to report themselves! In the case of a seizure while driving that causes an accident, then I am sure it would be documented by a physician and possibly reported.

In CA the doc is legally required to inform DMV of a seizure (uncontrolled), and until the appropriate time has passed with no events (eg meds are controlling things) driving privileges are suspended (usually 6 mos first time). After that if it's considered a breakthrough seizure it's 3 months, and when I didn't hear from DMV (they contact about retesting including the actual driving test) I asked the doc and he said if they hadn't contacted me I was good to go at the three month mark. The biggest thing through the restricted period is that you are not insured.

I can't drive as I've only been 4 months since my last seizure, however I can drink. I can drink A LOT.

I've never had a hangover either (I've been on epilepsy medication since I was around 13/14 so I hadn't started drinking) and I have no side effects of alcohol with my medication.

It's a big worry as I want to move to Topamax but the ONLY thing I like about Keppra is that I can get absolutely "wasted" on it.

I can drink a lot on Keppra too without experiencing any seizures (although I do experience a lot of memory loss). Is this not true of other AEDs? I am considering switching from Keppra, but not being able to drink might change my mind.

I don't know, I hope my keppra & lamotragine will protect. I went over my limit last night (a glass of port after my glass of wine. I've got an unbelievable headache and a ton of fear. I'm trying to tell myself nothing will happen, and certainly the last two szs didn't have any forewarning, definitely no headache, but it's all I can think about right now. I knew it was a bad idea, someday I'll learn, I've had this headache before, but I'm scared.

When I think I've had too much to drink (but I'm not drunk), before I go to bed I drink a lot of water, take two ibuprofen (even with no headache), and eat a banana (for the potassium) in the morning. And continue to stay hydrated. Works for me.

Are you sensitive to red wine Blue Cat? I know many people who are (it's on the list of common migraine triggers, along with things like cheese and foods with MSG). My sister-in-law who is a doctor always takes a few Tylenol before drinking red wine, and in general she sticks to white wine which doesn't have the same properties as red.

I normally (99.9% of the time) drink whites. I'm not terribly sensitive to reds, but seldom have them. This, more than anything I think was just 3 or 4 ozs over my 8oz liimit. I did drink a lot of water and soda before bed, and some during the night, but didn't take the ibuprofen until I got up, and again 4 hours later. It still hurts, but I'm settling down. Just got back from taking the cats in for their annual, I think focusing on something besides me helps. Thank you Nakamova, I appreciate the help, and have my water jug filled...guess I better go to the store and get groceries, out of bananas.

Hi,

I drive and have done for 17 years. I had to be seizure free for 5 years before I could even think of driving. As for drinking I am a half a glass person and I feel that is all I can handle. But it is good being about the only one that remember what goes on. Drinking has never been a big part of my life so i don't miss it. I live in Australia which may make things different. My kids also need to be seizure free for 5 years before they can go for the licence and they are teenagers which isn't good for them at the moment.

I do not drink.. that stuff tastes nasty! plus most of the time it just puts me to sleep. And i dont trust what it could do to my body, namely lowering my threshold or making my medicine metabolize faster..

I have been driving since 2006, when after two years I went seizure free on my Tegretol for over 2 yrs.

I was going to vote, but there wasn't a "0" options. unless vitamins count as medication....

drink, no drive

My Dr. did not like it when I told him I was less likely to have partial or absence seizures if I had 1/2 - 1 serving of alcohol when my parents came over. I don't drink a lot, I like to be able to drink when other people are drinking, I am just not usually inclined to drink to excess. If I do drink a lot, a may be more likely to have a seizure. Also muscadine wine gives me a violent headache - that stuff is evil.

I have grand mals once every couple of months. I am taking generics. I am thinking there is a connection.

Back
Top Bottom