Anyone capable of drinking, driving or both?

How many medications are you taking to contol your seizures?

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Drink - I use to love wine, I am able to take about a 2 ounce taste on a Friday night, then I switch to Ariel (non-alcohol) or just water.
I love beer or Chardonnay wine as spirits I have had seizures from. Wine is mg favorite alcoholic drink. :)

Actually having started Zonegran this week I don't need beer anymore for an opposite mental state I need red bull or coffee .

Last edited:
I can both drink and drive (NOT at the same time though, or if I've had anything to drink). My wife doesn't like me to drive if we are going somewhere together, and I guess that's OK. I had a motorcycle from 2005 until 2012, and rode a total of about 15,000 miles in that time, but my wife finally convinced me to sell it.
As for drinking and seizures, I pretty much only drink merlot and cabernet sauvignon, and maybe a half-dozen glasses a month, so not a lot. I didn't drink at all for the first five or ten years after being diagnosed and I went for three years once (2009 to 2012) with no alcohol at all, and there has never been any correlation between alcohol intake and seizures for me. My seizures come and go as they please, but are never too far away. Just like my cats, now that I think of it!

"Anyone capable of drinking, driving or both?"

Sure anyone is capable of both, but hopefully no one is stupid to do both. Like me.

Drinking is the scourge for some people and they just can't control it. Addictions.

I was busted for dui 3x, and all 3x it was reduced to wet reckless, since one out of the 3 times i blew into the breathalyzer it was under .08. There is a way to do that, but I won't tell. As one grows older, you realize the stupid things you have done, this was one of them for me. But granted i didn't drink anything harder than beer, but it doesn't make a difference, it's all bad. I stopped drinking after my 3rd wet reckless. Now it's just water, milk, or an occasional tea. Sodas are pretty much out now. Once you stop drinking soda and drink one, you realize how much sugar there is in it.

:pop: :piano:

I havent really drivent anywhere with a license.....so drinking while medicated? yes.

Last edited:
It seems like when it comes to driving the only restriction many of you have is whether you feel your seizures are under control enough to do so, I could have this wrong but it looks like many of you live in the States, are there no laws with transport authorities around when you can drive after having a seizure?

I only ask because here in NZ its a mandatory stand down after having a seizure and you need to be seizure free for a year, or in some cases 6 months, before you can get your license back and if you get caught by the police you get charged on the spot with reckless endangerment, in fact my neurologist (and most other doctors) will report you to the police if they suspect you have been driving. They do however make allowances for people who's seizures are mostly in control but they still have occasional nocturnal seizures.

cargif.gif

remember, you are not alone.

I have to talk to my my doc when I get back to town,
among other things I do miss my motorcycle. this is getting a bit out of hand.

Last edited:
YES, in my state (Washington State) it is a law you must be 1 year seizure free OR no, i meant 6 months. but that is not really enforced. In fact i did not mention my epilepsy to the motor-license people and so my doc just says "you should NOT be driving. And i do not now. i like not driving. it gives me peace of mind. we have public transport and it saves a buttload of money. Now that i started having some big tonic Clonics in the last year.

I can't drink or drive. Maybe I will be able to drive in a month (3 mos seizure free).

Oh and Jenagade yes here in California on the 2nd seizure Doctors MUST report a seizure diagnosis to the DMV. Then each 3 months the Dr may optionally recommend that the DMV reinstate privileges. The DMV then decides. So its up to our Government............eeeeek

Each State is different though Cali is one of only about 5 states that require reporting.

I was taken aback since the revocation of driving license notice said check one of two for the reason:

A medical condition that includes lapses of unconsciousness
or
Violation of Parole

Gee .......................stigma by visual adjacency

I got my license yanked in the hospital as soon as the EEG results came back and I was diagnosed. California plays no games.... BUT, after a year and a half I just got it back. My epileptologist is ok with nocturnal partials (simple or complex) and daytime simple partials as long as there's no loss of consciousness. I haven't had a TC since December, 2013.
I can drink but I can't party for days like before. One night's ok but a binder isn't lol.

after riding around in cali, i can understand why. They drive close together there. chain reactions are bad.
and the news stuck a camera and mic in a guy's face while he was still in shock.

Yeah it's bumper to bumper. My daughter lives in L.A and I go visit her once a week and I dread that drive! Cyclists have a hard time here, unfortunately.

Yeah getting my license restored in CA was a huge pain but it got done :)

I used to drink veryy heavily when I was on Depakote & Clonozepam both, ended up with a DUI though I was stupid lucky not to have a serious drug interaction with clonozepam especially.

After starting Keppra I've just about quit drinking altogether- partly because I want to keep my threshold high but mostly because it amplifies the mood swings a billion times (terrible for me and everyone within earshot).

Guess I truly am the designated driver now!

My seizures are nocturnal so I drive. As to drinking, I am really better off if I just don't even go there. Once I have the first glass of wine, having the second and third seem like perfectly rational things to do. But I know that is a great way to lower my seizure threshold. At least I know that before I start in with the first glass.

I haven't had a seizure since 2008. Am well controlled with 1000 mgs. generic Keppra daily. I live alone and in Florida, so I have to drive.
Have tried to lower my dosage but when got down to 500 mgs. started having auras and got scared and went back up to 1000.
Just have to accept that I Have to take this. The last thing I want to do is lose my drivers license. I would be SOL !
M

I can't drive, but I drink regularly. The drinking often gives me partials, but I usually remain conscious, so I don't mind it too much. Drinking helps me think and sometimes lifts my mood, which I need.

I am able to drive. I quit drinking when I found out of was having seizures. Yesterday was so horrible I broke out the vodka and had 3 or 4 shots. So far, so good. Probably won't test it again though.

Back
Top Bottom