Anyone diagnosed with neg EEG??

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Jan4you

New
Reaction score
My neuro diagnosed me with SP/CP due to lesions on temportal lobes.

My 2nd EEG was normal. But 4 years ago another EEG was done followed by 3 day EEG/video. 3 day ws normal but first EEG showed an "irritable Focus" and then was told I do not have seizure disorder.

This neuro is sure I have seizures after recent Jamais vu..and other experiences.
Anyone else here diagnosed with a normal EEG??

Thanks
Jan

I didn't have negative EEG but my neuro said 40% of his patients with E did show up with negative EEG...so it is fairly common.

OK I did not know that statistic.

My first EEG showed this Irritable focus and that is what he is going by. Its my history and lesions on temportal lobes that has convinced him.

Its convincing Me that is the problem LOL

Thanks
Jan

Hi Jan4you!

I had a negative EEG, negative sleep-deprived EEG and a negative MRI after a witnessed tonic-clonic and was diagnosed with E after finally admitting to a health care professional that I have been having auras/simple partials for years.

I had been researching the auras/simple partials and "knew" that I probably had epilepsy, but was able to ignore/deny what was going on because the episodes were pretty brief and didn't seem to have any lasting effects. Once I had the tonic-clonic I couldn't ignore what was happening and eventually came to terms with my diagnosis. Luckily, I am well controlled on Keppra.

Welcome aboard and good luck!

My Ambulatory EEG (you wear for 24-72hrs at home) showed spike-and-wave as well as other things on it.
My office visit EEGs were normal except photic stimulation resulting in a driving responce- meaning that its easier to have a seizure with that type stimulation.

Most other EEGs are normal for me.
It is common for most especially with complex partial seizures.

-Crystal

I was diagnosed with epilepsy, and the only thing the neurologist had to go on was the fact that I had 2 witnessed tonic/clonic seizures. My MRI was normal, and both EEG's were fine, although I think there were a few 'spikes' on one... It makes me wonder why EEG's are even ordered, if most of the time they won't show anything abnormal anyway. Also, I have always had 'deja vu' and also 'jamais vu'. I think that is a normal thing that most people experience at some point in their life. I don't understand how it is linked to epilepsy... Anyway, I am really new to this whole thing, so it probably doesn't matter anyway... The T/C's are really the big thing in this situation.

Unfortunately there are a lot of false positives and false negatives with EEGs. Often the actual seizure is the best/only way to confirm the epilepsy diagnosis, since EEGs can miss abnormal electrical activity deep in the brain.

Thanks for all your responses. It would help to accept this if there was proof so to speak on an EEG. The last seizure neuro said no I do not have seizures cuz of the 72 video..which did not show any seizure activity.

I have lesions..is that definitive? I guess. ANd my very first EEG showed an "irritable focus" which this neuro takes seriously.

Ok.. its me LOL

Thanks again

Jan

If it

makes you feel any better, I had negative EEGs for 40 years........but I had oodles of witnesses, including those from the medical profession, to attest to my seizures, so I had a definite diagnosis of E. :paperbag:

My EEG's have all been negative including VEEG (won't know about latest until end of month). Past MRIs showed one very small lesion/scar. EMG indicates some polyneuropathy and my GP and new neuro would both like to know why my reflexes are "hyper/brisk". Has anyone else had an EMG done in connection with their E...I haven't seen anyone post about that? I've had 3 done.

I've had

MULTIPLE EMG's done in connection with my E. I hate those suckers.

The injuries over the years from my many t/c's have caused neuropathy. And I have carpal tunnel from one of my previous jobs. The neuro has been keeping track of it on a pretty regular basis. I've been having the EMGs now for going on about 9 years now. Some of the neuropathy is getting better, some is worse.

I have been lucky in the injury department...other than a lot of nasty bumps and bruises the worse I've done is break my ribs falling on our stairs (I was at the bottom) during a seizure. One of the stipulations my husband had when buying a new house was NO STAIRS.

THe fist EMG I had was the worse...the idiot kept yelling at me to hold still :eek: I yelled back at him that it wasn't me that was moving...it was the electricity he was running through me that was making everything move, what did he espect?!?!?!?! I was covered with bruises and prick scabs from that escapade...grrrr.

I wish

I could say that I were lucky in the injury department. :paperbag: 'Tis OK though, others have it worse than I do. :ponder: So, I take what I have, and deal.

I wish the house I was in had no stairs, LOL, but that's not the case.

And yes, I remember how you feel about the electricity going through. I've bawled a few times myself. Poor doc, he was nearly beside himself the one time--he'd never seen me cry before. Stupid EMG. It's the worst when he does my legs.......

Hi Jan4you!

I had a negative EEG, negative sleep-deprived EEG and a negative MRI after a witnessed tonic-clonic and was diagnosed with E after finally admitting to a health care professional that I have been having auras/simple partials for years.

I had been researching the auras/simple partials and "knew" that I probably had epilepsy, but was able to ignore/deny what was going on because the episodes were pretty brief and didn't seem to have any lasting effects. Once I had the tonic-clonic I couldn't ignore what was happening and eventually came to terms with my diagnosis. Luckily, I am well controlled on Keppra.

Welcome aboard and good luck!

this is my experience, I was taken off of AED and never heard a word from my Neurologist again.

this is my experience, I was taken off of AED and never heard a word from my Neurologist again.

Did you get another Neuro to help you? I'm just wondering, because we're in the same boat right now (Neg EEG and no more Neuro).

We were told the first EEG was abnormal
Second and Third EEG were normal
VEEG normal
After 3.5 yrs my daughter was diagnosed with hypoglycemia and making nutritional changes seems to be helping episodes. Doctors were reluctant to look at this, and most neurologists have no knowledge of the connection. Even though Dr Blaylock says seizures due to hypoglycemia are common.

As I understand it, some of the reasons an eeg can not show epileptic seizures (when they are really happening) are:

- A seizure isn't happening at that moment.

- The seizure is happening in too small a part of the brain to show up. That's why they try to trigger a BIG seizure when in the hospital for monitoring. When the seizure spread from a small part of the brain to more of the brain, it can be picked up.

- The seizure is happening in a very deep part of the brain. The seizure has to be within a certain depth from the skin/skull, or the eeg might not pick it up. (Those of you with fear seizures, those may be coming from the amygdala, which is often too deep to be picked up)

- The abnormal waves are either very low or very high frequency, which traditional eeg's can't pick up.

- The person has recent onset epilepsy, or long standing epilepsy with very few seizures. That means fewer permanent changes to the brain so there are fewer or no abnormal waves that would show up between seizures, and there may not even be sufficient abnormal waves during a partial seizure to show up on the eeg.

In other words, eeg's aren't perfect. far from it.

:brain:

I had several negative EEG's, including a sleep deprived, though I had dozens and dozens of witnessed tonic clonic and complex partials, including 2 1/2 hours of waves of seizures in an emergency room that left me unable to read or walk normal for weeks (small hospital with no EEG on site). So I agree, EEG's don't catch everything. AND I was just diagnosed after many months of uncertainty: My seizures are caused by Central Nervous System Lupus. It was my blood work that finally caught one doctor's attention, who then looked up the symptoms and saw they included Headaches, fatigue, confusion, Seizures, foggy, joint pain, (and a few that I didn't have). More info: www.lupus.org. Treatments are working! It took two weeks to take effect, but no more seizures so far. I can think again. I have energy. So. never fear. EEG's don't catch everything. I am so grateful for this community. The guidance I got here really helped me make it through.

Celesteam,

I'm sad about your diagnosis, but happy they found it! And doubly happy you already have an effective treatment! Wonderful!!!

Back
Top Bottom