Anyone with disability who has another source of income?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

mspang

Stalwart
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I've been on disability for a few years now and been trying to
find other ways for income. Interested to see if anyone has been successful in
doing so. All replies welcome, thanks.

we have a ticket to work program and the the easter seals, and a few other things, and to help people, disabilty tends to not be the level of living some people were used to to maintain their lifestyle of choice. myself included.

Well, I have no education such as a high school diploma, but so far I've earned about 700 this year for repairing computers. I repair them for relatives or my relatives friends, and my father works at a store and needs a lot of repairs done to them. So, I suppose I'm a pc technician without the cert. I hate doing it, but oh well at least it's some income.

Have you thought about doing something like that? I thought about listing my google voice number in yellow pages offering to repair them at a cheap price. I don't know if I'll do that though.

there is always seeing if the state has vocational training help if you are on diasbilty

Do you have any hobbies or other interests? It helps to start with something you are familiar with and know how to do, then explore how you can potentially make money at it. To do this it often helps to take a couple of courses to obtain credentials, or to develop marketing skills and other business skills. These courses do not necessarily have to be college level courses; some school districts offer night-school courses or you may find online courses to your liking.

I realise it's not much help to you, but it's not really allowed up here in the UK- either you have disability benefit and possibly do a small amount (but have a reduction in your benefit) or you change to unemployment benefit- with all the problems that would entail if you're ill enough to get disability benefit.

Basically it's either or, in the eyes of the UK system. You either keep searching for a job, and accept the crappest thing available, or you're disabled and do nothing (if you want to keep the full benefit you were on).

I hope it's better in NZ, there's no way of legaly claiming full benefit and working over here.

Last edited:
I have my Navy pension as well as VA disability.
I had not worked since I was retired in 2004. I actually do not have to work because the money I bring in is enough for me to live on. However, because I can't drive any where, the only time I am able to get out of the house is if my wife is with me.
I did find a job through the VA's VocRehab program and I am loving it. I started last April as a Contractor at the Naval Medical Center San Diego. I only work part time but just getting out and interacting with people has put a smile back on my face.

Back
Top Bottom