anyone else get skin tingling sensations ?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

vapour

New
Reaction score
Hey all.

Im wondering if anyone else here gets the same tingling/prickling crawling sensations before a seizure...and how you deal with it.

I have been going htrough periods of seizure free... then having days or weeks of partial and focal motor seizures.... and sometimes the skin thing can go on and off for days.

I am still taking meds, and waiting for a referal from my neuro to see an epileptologist.

Surgery has been mentioned to me. I am really tired right now of all this, and when I get into the teaching hospital here to see the epileptologist I am going to have a surgical evaluation/workup.

I remember my daughter complaining that her scalp felt like something was crawling all over it. She even started pulling out some of her hair at the time. I forget which med she was on at the time.
She has been med free for two years and this has not occurred since.

I get the tingling on my head & extremities before and during a seizure. It seems to come in waves.

After the stronger seizures the tingling remains in my hands & feet for a little while.

Yes, I often get skin tingling, sometimes when laying in bed at night, it feels like a ghost is playing with my hair (sounds weird) I get the annoying bugs running up and down my skin, I also get weird sensations under the skin like a small pneumatic drill vibrating. So difficult to explain and I am probably doing a really bad job of it.

And I thought I was the only one like this! Up until now, I've never told anyone about this strange feeling I get out of nowhere, whenever...it kind of feels like when someone runs their fingers up your back without your knowing. It causes me to cringe -squirm, if you will. It can happen anywhere out of the blue...like when I'm getting my hair cut and they tilt my head, or when the chiropractor tries to position me just right. It's annoying as heck in times like that because they wonder what's wrong and I'm not really able to explain to them. I'm theorizing it's something connected to my nervous system, but I wish I knew what. I'm not sure what to ask or say to a Dr. for help in figuring this out because I can't really put it into words that sound accurate to me -let alone someone else. My herbalist had me on black cohosh for awhile, and unless it was just a strange coincidence, the spells -or whatever you want to call them- seemed to all but go away totally. This is weird! :ponder:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you're right, that it's some overactive nerves misfiring that gives you that tingling sensation -- some misplaced electricity running through your nervous system, sort of like the aftereffect of a tiny shock. If you think the black cohosh helped, maybe you should try it again (assuming there aren't any contraindications) to see if you get the same result.

It can be hard to explain for me, however I get this feeling that is like a shaky feeling from the inside out with the tingling feeling with it. This can seem to last for quite a while at times. My then my right arm/hand can shake and jerk for quite awhile after all the other feelings with the seizure have subsided.

I get that tingly/pins and needles feeling in my hands and feet every day for about the past year. I have been on AEDs for 28 years and my seizures are 95% controlled.
I'm wondering if this is from long term use of meds (dilantin and pheonobarb)

Randy

Back
Top Bottom