Anyone ever feel better after a seizure?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

BrandiBrat

Stalwart
Reaction score
Yeah, I know...it's a weird idea. But, has anyone ever actually felt better after having either a complex partial or TC? I'll tell you why I ask...
I've been TC free for over a year (Yay!) but still have simples and partials monthly, prior to my menses. Last week, on cue, I started feeling like poop. Not feeling rested, neurologically "not right", and was having a few auras. I'm usually high energy, but needed to take naps during the day, etc. I wondered if I was catching a cold or something. My seizures are primarily nocturnal and the other night, I woke after losing bladder control. I was mentally out of it and knew I was postictal, but don't think I had a TC because my muscles weren't sore, cheeks were intact, etc. But, I often lose control during a strong complex partial, as well. The next day, I felt great and was back to being my old self again, full of energy and ready to conquer the world. I felt as though I had awakened from a long nap and felt so refreshed! Usually, I have a headache and am drained for a couple days, but this time I felt a sense of relief. Anyone ever experience this?

I used to feel this way (before my current medication). My seizures are also nocturnal, and the pre-seizure sensations during the day consisting of strong tingling enough to drive me "crazy" could last up to 8 hours sometimes. Also prior to a seizure I am edgy, either because of the tingling or in addition to. Tingling would usually start in my legs and progress up my body to torso, head, throat, eyes . . . After the seizure, these symptoms would be less pronounced and gradually fade over 4-8 hours. Although I would feel mentally wiped out after a seizure for 24-48 hours, it was much easier to tolerate than the tingling.
I am thankfully experiencing much less intense pre-seizure symptoms on my current medication, and recovery is also much quicker so I think my nocturnal seizures must be less intense as well :)

When I have seizures I usually feel like crap for the rest of the day and sometimes a day or two after. All I want to do is sleep. And sometimes I may have a horrible headache that lasts for hours after the seizure.

Over about the last year the number of seizures and types I have, usually only partials very rarely a grand mal, hasn't increased or decreased. My meds haven't changed. I do have a VNS and the settings on it have been changed however. I haven't had many headaches after a seizure. If I do have one it usually isn't nearly as bad and they don't even last as close to how long they did. Sometimes I'm not even tired after the seizure and with in an hour it's like I never even had it. I'm fine the next day too.

It's weird.

just recently I had a seizure that led to me actually not barfing, having a headache, and sleeping for two days straight. It actually made me do the opposite. It made me wide awake. I was more energetic, alert and got up quickly. My shoulder was still out of place like usual. It hurt worse though. So most likely the adrenaline caused me to do it...

This is what's so frustrating about this disease! It manifests itself in so many diverse ways in Everyone! I don't think there are any 2 of us here that have the exact same symptoms!
I think that's why the drs. have such a hard time finding the right meds for us.
The human brain is an amazing thing!
M

Soooo true, Marika853! And yes, I didn't think about adrenaline being the reason for my energy the next day. Like many, my seizures have changed dramatically over the last couple of years....mostly for the better, but still stranger and stranger. lol Thank you all for your feedback, I sure do appreciate you sharing your experiences. :)

Yeah, my very first one that hit me was massive and occurred at the tail end of a 4 year workoholism stint.

Was watching a stroby video, then broke into tears, and my head then my body began to vibrate. It was the most powerful physical sensation I had ever felt and it lasted for 10,15+ minutes maybe more.

Anyways, I began to prepare myself for passage into the afterlife. I felt like a million dollars. As if my whole body had been cleansed.

Had no idea it was a seizure, and it really knocked me into a delusional type of state of mind which persisted for a while.

Took me about a year to figure out it was a seizure.

To my understanding there are a few people who have "spiritual awakenings", but they don't recognize them as seizures. They call them "full body vibrations".

I can't post links yet, but this page has a few people who experienced a similar phenominon as me.

www . spiritual-experiences . com / real-spiritual-story . php ? story = 357

It go stronger and stronger to the point where my head was throbbing and I could feel the vibration from the top of my head to the tip of my toes. It felt as if I was being electrocuted but it wasn't painful. It was so intense that I thought I was going to fall off of my chair. I let this feeling go on as long as I could before my brother came into the room and the feeling was instantly gone. I told him about my experience and he laughed and said I must have fallen asleep.

Anyways, I might as well. Sometimes I think the body is capable of launching little mini nuclear attacks on itself in an attempt to repair itself and collateral damage occurs.

That however is not to be taken too seriously.

Last edited:
Wow, interesting! I've been asking everyone I know with E and so far no one has experienced it like I did until now. You described it to a tee...as if it were a cleansing. Mind you, I've had 1000's of seizures since my dx, but this is the first time my body felt relief after. As if it were a good cry. The next day, I got up and did a bunch of yardwork I'd been putting off, worked my horses, cleaned the house, had a BBQ...just felt amazing. lol

Yeah um, I am not a confirmed case of epilepsy through EEG, but my doctor but me on anti-seizure meds which I only partially responded to. So I cycle on and off with them with short dedicated runs. Technically, a few months after the massive electrical vibration, I went to the psychiatrist and they gave me a diagnosis of bipolar, however I failed to mention the seizure which may have been a partial catalyst towards the bipolar, but I've recovered from that a fair amount, then my steady seizures began to set in over a year later, and now I am aware that it is probably an epilepsy. So, I'm working to get my co-morbidity worked out.

Personally, I think I may be what is refereed to as hyperthymic. However that is a left field terminology.

I was looking at this the other day. Parietal Lobe Epilepsy.

epilepsy . med . nyu . edu / epilepsy / types-epilepsy / partietal-lobe-epilepsy

If there is region in the brain where my seizures effect my state of mind, or my cognitive function or perception, this is probably the closest area. So that's 5% of epilepsy. I don't know that however, because the physical sensation of vibrations is most certainly not limited to that area, but if there is a perception which is going haywire, I'm guessing it is some type of pressure sense. I'll know more in a few weeks/months with EEGs and stuff, so.

Last edited:
There are so many of us that have not had a positive EEG, yet diagnosed with E. I had seizure activity during my first EEG, which made it easy to diagnose mine, but I feel for others who have to go through the frustration.
I used to have the feeling of vibrations in my face during complex partial seizures. My seizure focus is in my right temporal lobe, though it spreads. I used to have "short dedicated runs" too, before I came to terms that this is for life....now I take my meds daily. lol

Yeah, I've even tried experimenting with aromatherapy. While I do get vibrations in the face every now and then, I got a really cheap batch of fake essential oils from the internet unwittingly which must have been some type of detergent with colorings. That scent lit my whole face up. Basically my nasal passages. They extent right up into the forehead.

I've had minor recurring boughts of schizophrenia in my life time, where several voices will annoy me. As a child I had a massive ear infection, which took months of visits to the doctor with draining and so on. There is a paper out there called "Middle-ear disease and schizophrenia: case-control study." which makes me wonder if perhaps I have some sort of scar or something in that area. Maybe it extends to the temporal / parietal area. I am unsure.

I've recovered from a few situations, so I have my fingers crossed I can pull out of these seizures, but it's taking a really long time, so I do wonder.

Another substance which I am positive is a trigger for me, is thujone. Based on a herbal cleanse. However the strange thing about that, is I felt amazingly better after the cleanse, but I began to vibrate regularily in the mornings. They quickly subsided though, and I was without any vibrations for months. That's before I was hit harder with regular seizures.

Currently I am blaming a really bad allergic reaction or an inability for my body to pass bee propolis, which I was chewing alot before my regular current boughts set in. Exotic stuff from middle europe, orange in color. My kidneys were the focal point for the vibrations, but I passed all kidney tests. Eventually the vibrations moved to my heart, then everywhere else, and neuropathy set in pretty hard, but those symptoms disappeared and have not re-appeared for about 4 months now. Only the regular minor vibrations seem to be an issue lately and they don't really seem to be improving too much, so.

Doctors tell me I'm mentally ill, which I accept, but it makes it doubly difficult for me to follow any conclusions, as I always have to second guess myself.

Last edited:
I had a tonic clonic yesterday and after regaining consciousness I wondered too if others felt like I do right after a seizure:

After a seizure it takes roughly 10 minutes of talking nonsense and not realizing what happened until im myself again. Once that happens though I feel very good, full of energy and in fact: Motivation! No matter how I felt before the seizure, afterwards Im somehow in a very positive mood. It takes around an hour before the tiredness kicks in and I have to sleep. After waking up I feel normal again except for extreme backpain, freezing and food and water tasting weird.

I've experienced CP's and TC's over the years and also had bad bouts of depression. I was also seeing a neuropsychiatrist, who had prescribed numerous anti-depressants, nothing was helping. Several times I was suicidal. My psych at one time even said that "I needed to experience a seizure to alleviate the depression." Sometimes, after I experienced a seizure, I did feel better emotionally. It is sort of like ECT. But not if they are a really, really bad TC seizure. In those, I feel awful, with severe headaches and body aches for days.

Several years back, I posted this video on the subject of TLE and the emotions, etc. so here it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deDrVZfvDbM

^That's a good lecture, it reminds of this by Hippocrates.

On the Sacred Disease

classics . mit . edu / Hippocrates / sacred . html

Back then they were doing everything they could to induce seizures.

They who first referred this malady to the gods appear to me to have been just such persons as the conjurors, purificators, mountebanks, and charlatans now are, who give themselves out for being excessively religious, and as knowing more than other people. Such persons, then, using the divinity as a pretext and screen of their own inability to of their own inability to afford any assistance, have given out that the disease is sacred, adding suitable reasons for this opinion, they have instituted a mode of treatment which is safe for themselves, namely, by applying purifications and incantations, and enforcing abstinence from baths and many articles of food which are unwholesome to men in diseases. Of sea substances, the surmullet, the blacktail, the mullet, and the eel; for these are the fishes most to be guarded against. And of fleshes, those of the goat, the stag, the sow, and the dog: for these are the kinds of flesh which are aptest to disorder the bowels. Of fowls, the cock, the turtle, and the bustard, and such others as are reckoned to be particularly strong. And of potherbs, mint, garlic, and onions; for what is acrid does not agree with a weak person. And they forbid to have a black robe, because black is expressive of death; and to sleep on a goat's skin, or to wear it, and to put one foot upon another, or one hand upon another; for all these things are held to be hindrances to the cure. All these they enjoin with reference to its divinity, as if possessed of more knowledge, and announcing beforehand other causes so that if the person should recover, theirs would be the honor and credit; and if he should die, they would have a certain defense, as if the gods, and not they, were to blame, seeing they had administered nothing either to eat or drink as medicines, nor had overheated him with baths, so as to prove the cause of what had happened. But I am of opinion that (if this were true) none of the Libyans, who live in the interior, would be free from this disease, since they all sleep on goats' skins, and live upon goats' flesh; neither have they couch, robe, nor shoe that is not made of goat's skin, for they have no other herds but goats and oxen. But if these things, when administered in food, aggravate the disease, and if it be cured by abstinence from them, godhead is not the cause at all; nor will purifications be of any avail, but it is the food which is beneficial and prejudicial, and the influence of the divinity vanishes.

Back
Top Bottom