Anyone ever tried live food to help with seizures?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I've been looking on the Alissa Cohen website for information on live food. Claims are that if you stick with "live food" you have a better shot of curing illnesses. Anyone ever tried?

I have her book and it's amazing what you can do without cooking. Truthfully, I'd love to get off meds completely and if this will help---fabulous!

Please let me know. Thanks!

I don't know her website. Is this it:
Lisa Cohen

I receive the newsletter connected to this site:
The Paleo Diet

What I started realizing was they all started to sound so similar. A few differences here and there.
Cooking is suppose to kill the enzymes needed to process the particular food. So many people that have issues with gluten for example, take an enzyme supplement so that they can continue eating wheat, or it helps for those times that you possibly ate it by accident.

Last edited:
Alissa Cohen

Her site is under her name. She has a lot of knowledge and, yes, enzymes are the key according to the rawbie sites. It seems to me that eating clean is a lot easier raw than cooked.

What I have found to be easier is not to try to recreate a recipe but to come up with new ideas supporting the direction that you are moving toward. I think when we try to recreate we tend to compare the taste the texture and appearance. That sets us up for disappointment IMO

Subject Line said:
Anyone ever tried live food to help with seizures?

I love your Subject Line! It's so cute and had
me cracking up to pieces! DO NOT BE OFFENDED!
It made my night!

All my FOOD are dead! *laughing* If it moves, I
am not going to eat it!

;)

You have came up with the BEST Subject Line which
I have not seen a good one on the Internet in a very,
very long time!

:tup:

================================

Moreover, with what Robin has suggested is a
pretty good avenue to look into and it's a start!

But ROBIN IS RIGHT concerning that - but keep in
mind that majority of the population (which includes
"normal healthy people") are sensitive or allergic to
MSG as well - and it comes by various names.

Robin has a thread on this I think or Bernard did;
and I can't remember where it was located at - but
that is another area to look into and keeping it in
mind as well ... (I'm allergic to various types of food
and also have reactions to certain types of food as
well ... and quite a few will trigger seizures)

Thanks Sharon.....

No worries here, I don't get insulted that easily (I have 7-year old twins who are painfully honest). I agree with Robin as well.... I figure that since I have the cookbook, why not try that "live food" with all of the enzymes and see how I feel?!?!?!

I think it is a very good route to begin with. It is the food that was placed here for us to eat from the beginning. I am trying to undo all the brainwashing I have learned as to what makes a good meal.

Sounds to me like this "paleodiet" or the raw food diet is a good thing for people like me who are gluten, casein, msg, soy intolerant.
The "raw" in raw diet doesn't mean raw meat, that I can tell.

No... I doubt that raw meat would be considered safe.

I personally am going to have out every day, a dish of fresh raw vegetables. I am going to switch them around and see if we can't change snacking habits, from simple carbs to more complex carbs. Ones that are easy to grab.

Great to hear......

I've started to incorporate some fruits and veggies into my daily eating. This morning I had a smoothie with banana, strawberries, and spinach. It was fabulous (granted it didn't look pretty)! Most importantly, I had a ton of energy and little to no headaches from the lamictal.

one thing to remember is certain fruits are extremely high in sugar and yeast loves sugar. Yeast can grow out of control and cause a lot of neuro issues. In addition the sugar can throw off blood sugar levels.

Just something to think about.
Though I do love banana, frozen strawberries, coconut yoghurt, mango juice smoothies.
My blender burned itself up, so I have to wait until I get a new blade.
I do want a juicer to make veggie drinks. You can add pear and peeled apples which are not high yeast feeders and still help to sweeten the drink.

Agreed.....

I'm watching my intake very carefully of certain foods especially b/c some will mess with my Tegretol level. If you have a website with the fruits that are suspect, please pass it on. I'm turning into an information highway over here!!

Most of what I have found is over years of putting words into a Google search. Unfortunately I was not organized enough to keep a reference file. So I still use the University of Google library of sources.
I just put in yeast feeding fruits ...

I found a good list here: Sugar sources
Fruits

Most people need to cut down on fruit intake drastically while following the Candida diet. This is because fruit is high in natural sugar. Some fruits are higher in sugar than others.

Some people can eat fruit freely and other people can't eat it at all. On the other hand, some people can only eat fruit that is lower in sugar.

Fruit High in Sugar
-Oranges (very moldy as well)
-Bananas
-Dates

Fruit Medium level of sugar
-Apples
-Apricots
-Peaches
-Melons (also very moldy)

Fruit Low in sugar
-Strawberries
-Blueberries
-Raspberries
-Blackberries
-Pears
The Number One Enemy

The worse thing you can give your body in regard to the Candida Diet and in regard to health in general is sugar. It weakens the immune system and gives yeast a spectacular feast.

Sugar is Candida's favorite food. If you remove nothing else from your diet, it must be sugar.

You may think that you don't eat much sugar, but you eat sugar unknowingly many times a day, because sugar is added to almost every food on the market in the traditional store and is even common place in the health food stores. The health food stores usually carry items that contain organic sugar, but sugar is sugar when it comes to Candida and immune function.

To remove sugar from your diet you must read labels very carefully. All forms of sugar should be removed from the diet.

Forms of Sugar

-Beet Sugar
-Maple Sugar
-Date Sugar
-Organic Cane Syrup
-Organic Cane Juice
-Organic Cane Sugar
-Dextrose
-Maltose
-Lactose
-Maltodextrin
-Fructose
-High Fructose Corn Syrup
-Brown Sugar
-Powdered Sugar
-Honey -Molasses

Now granted, if you really must eat sugar, organic sugar is definitely a better choice, because it doesn't have pesticides in it and it hasn't been stripped of its nutritional value, unlike refined white sugar. But in regard to Candida, sugar is sugar. It doesn't distinguish between organic or inorganic. It will be quite happy to eat either one of them and proliferate equally.

You are a gem....

Thank you so much for that list! I've always wondered if some of my digestive issues are due to candida. I told my doctor and he replied that he "didn't believe" in that. I am glad that I'm taking everything in----sometimes you have to be humbled to take your health into your own hands!

It has interested me now that I have read some information on it, when I itch in unmentionable places I can always connect it to either a supplement that is a yeast feeder or a food.
When my son had to take a heavy duty antibiotic for a spider bite recently, he went into a terrible allergy attack. I read that yeast loves bacterial dieoff. Found that rather interesting.
So even though our doctor doesn't believe in it too, doesn't make it not occur. I know I was given antibiotics for a year when I was a teen, for acne. Rebecca was given quite an assortment of antibiotics as a child for ear infections. I think our gut flora is out of wack. I now am giving her probiotics and I will get some more biotin. Those are two supplements that help us keep it under control. I know nutritional changes would help too, however I have pushed my teen about as far as I can for now.

Probiotics have helped....

They have definitely helped with the loss of good bacteria in my stomach. Yet, they were difficult to take in the beginning. I heard that if you have had stomach issues, probiotics can make you nauseous in the beginning----for me they did---but, I continued on and now I'm fine.

Biotin, I haven't tried---will have to add that to my list. BTW--Where did you get the ionic magnesium? I can't find it at our health food store.

Have a wonderful holiday and enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom