Anyone know what this could be?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

munchy

New
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm not a big poster, but I do read the forum alot for advice and info, but I've got something going on that I can't find on here. I will be asking my GP about this tomorrow, but I know now that she wont have the answer and I wont be seeing my neuro until the end of january.

I've been on 1000 mg Keppra for about 3 months now, after coming off tegretol due to side effects and because it wasn't really working anyway. I have simple partials from my left temporal lobe.

For the last few weeks I've been getting a horrible feeling on the right side of my head which is very hard to explain, but it feels as though I'm about to pass out. sometimes with it I also get a feeling like my right eye is being pulled open, although it isn't. It lasts a couple of minutes at a time and I get really worried that I'm going to black out.

I'm worried it could be a new type of partial seizure, or that it is a side effect of the Keppra (I've been getting on really well with the keppra apart from a few SP's when I was stressed about the death of my dog, so I really don't want to change meds again)

Has anyone else had anything like this or is it just me? Any advice would be great, thanks.

munchy xx

my recommendation would be to go to your eye doctor. this is a symptom of retinal detachment. Nobody knows all the reasons this happens, but there is a warning. flashing ligths and floaters in that eye can also be tell tale signs.

stress and trauma are thought to be the most common casues. this is why you hear of people going blind after witnessing traumatic events. the stress overloads their optic nerve and it ruptures the attaachment of the retina.

this will be your quickest doctor to see for answers.

New types of seizures can certainly be a side effect of medication. It happened a lot with Rebecca. After being off of meds none of those odd "seizures" ever came up again. I think when you are taking meds it is finding one that the side effects are agreeable to you. The ones Rebecca experienced simply were unacceptable.

I have the floaters and flashes of lights, but my Optometrist checked, he said I was ok, well, besides my Astigmatism.

I was on Tegretol for a while, I couldn't tolerate it.

I try to keep stress to a minimum, I'm sorry to hear about your dog. :(

I have had all kinds of weird sensations, and "one of a kind" seizures, they didn't come back.

Strange, I know.

Billy :)

Back
Top Bottom