Appointment update with the Psych Dr

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

momof3boys

Account Closed
Inactive
Reaction score
Well, I was amazingly suprised at how things turned out! :)

I started out by telling her all the changes that have taken place since I last saw her, which was in March. Going from Vimpat and Keppra to Lamictal and Keppra, then off of Lamictal due to allergic reaction, and staying at 2500mgs of Keppra to 3000mgs of Keppra XR.

In the meantime, Im telling her the reactions Im getting from the dr as all these changes are taking place. She agreed with me on how the seizures that he is saying are non epileptic seizures during my VEEG, are believed to be from abrupt withdrawal of the Keppra XR and Carbatrol Er I was on for over 12 years. Ive never in my life been abruptly taken off any seizure medications. Doing that, I had seizures which didnt register as epileptic seizures, but the EEG also had epileptic activity in my left temporal lobe, which was treated with Keppra.

She agreed, that if they were non epileptic seizures, the Keppra wouldnt have taken care of them, and I would be having them no matter If I was put back on the Keppra. Anti seizure medications dont take non epileptic seizures away.

The tingling pins and needles sensation I had while my dr was weaning me off of the Keppra, I got down to 2500mgs from 3000mgs, was due to the weaning. Once I was put back on the 3000mgs of Keppra XR it went away. As she said, those are symptoms of anxiety, but they cant dissappear with Keppra if they are caused my anxiety. So that right there was auras I was experiencing being on the low dose of Keppra.

The reaction I had to the Lamictal, I had papers with me from my primary care dr that I took to show her that all tests came back normal and i had no infections, like my dr said I had. The psych dr agreed, that you dont have to have a rash to be allergic to medications. seeing that once I was taken off of that, and everything went away, it showed her it was due to having an allergic reaction.

Now my next appointment with my neurologist is at the end of August. She said in the meantime to sit back, enjoy life and she's happy that the Keppra is controlling the seizures. But she said after reviewing everything, she cant see the seizures he says to be non epileptic seizures, are non epileptic seizures, rather than what came from the abrupt withdrawal of the Keppra and Carbatrol I was taking prior to my VEEG. My last seizure like that was two 2 days after being put back on the Keppra XR after being off all medications for 3.5 days while doing the VEEG. Its going to take time to build a level back up, which she explained in the meantime could cause seizures to occur. But it explains why I havnt had anymore since being put back on the Keppra.

She said why try to take me off the Keppra if they Keppra is holding the seizures? She can see if the VEEG came back with no epileptic activity, and I was having non epileptic seizures, then to try to take me off the Keppra. But my EEG showed epileptic activity which would have to be treated. Well the Keppra is treating that. Why take me off of it?

So anyway you look at it, I had a good appointment. Alot more was said, and I couldnt believe the stuff I was hearing... if you want to know more, just Message me! :)

Anyways, just wanted to let you all know how things went. I feel like a brick or two have been lifted off my shoulders. It feels good to know that someone is seeing things the way I see them. I felt like I had to make this trip to the psych dr just to prove to her, all the good changes and what is really going on, and have to proof to him what is going on.

Great news! Any time a doc listens and understands it's a bonus! Too bad she's not your neurologist.

It's so great to find a doctor that understands meds and their effect on the brain. Especially the use and withdrawl of our seizure meds. Your heart must feel so much lighter now!

Is she going to send a report to your misguided neuerologist?

It's so great to find a doctor that understands meds and their effect on the brain. Especially the use and withdrawl of our seizure meds. Your heart must feel so much lighter now!

Is she going to send a report to your misguided neuerologist?

Yes, she said she will send her notes over to him. She said she could get into my chart to see my EEG so she was going to take a look for herself at what came up. Which is fine with me. Like I told her, I found out it odd that It would bring up epileptic activity in my left temporal lobe, he put me on Keppra to treat it, and then write down in my chart he would like to admit me to the hospital and take me off of Keppra? Why take me off of Keppra if its treating my seizures? Doesnt really make a whole lotta sense.... She said more, but it was stuff that Id rather not post. Things that suprised me about other patients and what I brought up about my experience with all of this.

Apart of me is relieved to know that someone actually can see where Im coming from. Now the hard part would be to getting him to see that.

Back
Top Bottom