Attended Neurofeedback seminar in Dallas

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Dignan

Stalwart
Reaction score
Hey all,

Just thought I'd share my experience this past week. On the advice of Bernard, I've looked into Dr. Jonathan Walker here in Dallas. He's a neurologist who does QEEG mapping and neurofeedback for multiple issues, including epilepsy.

Every month they have free information seminars, where people can come in and ask questions, meet the Dr., and see the equipment they use to do the Neurofeedback.

Still somewhat skeptical, I thought I'd go and have a look for myself. Dr. Walker seemed to know his stuff and answered my questions in what I thought was an appropriate manner. We had someone in our group hooked up to the machine and they demo'd how the neurofeedback would work.

I have to say, I still have trouble believing something so simple could really work, since you don't even know what you are doing and can't feel your brain re-training itself.

They also claim that most insurance companies will cover their services (they only noted that 2 companies currently gave them trouble). I admit, I still don't know what to think about the whole thing, and my current neurologist is skeptical. But, he did say that it couldn't do any harm, and if insurance will pay for it, then he doesn't see any harm in trying.

I'll have to confirm the insurance thing first and then decide what I want to do. I don't know if I've just been brainwashed by traditional medicine or what, but I do still feel skeptical of it all. Dr. Walker said that they have a really high success rate >90% and he feels confident they can stop seizures. Seems too good to be true really, and you know what they say, if something seems too good...

D:rock:

Last edited:
A great book to read about neurofeedback is called "A Symphony in The Brain". It looks at how neurofeedback was developed, and why it's been tough to get widespread acceptance.

I went to a NFB seminar here in Massachusetts -- the statistics are pretty impressive, especially for things like ADD. It's tru, it may not work for everyone. The good part is that there are unlikely to be side effects, and that preliminary studies show that the results are long-lasting -- so the "re-training" tends to stick.

We payed out of pocket for my daughter to do the therapy.
I believe it is part of the reason she is doing much better. She remains med free, and continues to make good nutritional choices which is the other key to this therapy working.
The brain needs good fuel in order to function properly.

What I saw was brainwave monitoring using video games and music and movies. If the waves weren't right, the game didn't move, or if the waves weren't right the movies wouldn't play.

Is that similar to what you guys experienced that you felt was helpful for your daughter?

Has anyone ever heard of the Amen clinic in California?Thats the docs name-not a religious affiliation,although I didnt read very much about it.Does this neurofeedback help with the present quality of your life?I really want to be happy-it took me awhile to diagnose and accept and I know things will never be like they were before,but everyone tells me and I agree that I dont even resemble the person i was before.I dont much care about being the same person,I just want to be happy and enjoy life.Gees-I spend so much time trying to avoid doing things and i know its not the severe depression like last year and I tried a psych twice a week for a year with zero results

I know that scientists have little respect for Dr. Amen.

Scientists and medical professionals have criticized the scientific validity of Amen's work, noting that there are no clinical studies supporting his claims. Although he has not conducted (nor cites) any research validating his brain-based weight-loss scheme, Amen has responded by increasing the number of references in his latest book Change Your Brain, Change Your Body.,[4] though none of these references validates the claims he makes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_G._Amen#Criticism_and_response

He is also listed on as a quack on Quackwatch.

Personally I was immediately suspicious when the first thing he tries to sell me on his website is a technique to lose weight.

Also, Pardon my cynicism but I also find it hard to imagine that this person didn't change his name to "Amen" for marketing purposes as I've seen it done before (though I admit this is just my opinion)

Last edited:
Blue cross blue shield doesn't pay for neurofeedback. They say it is "experimental" for epilepsy, and they don't pay for experimental treatments.

Something I should have said is that Dr. Amens lack of qualification should not reflect whether neurofeedback itself works if done by a professional who knows what they're doing.

There are people on this site who can vouch for neurofeedback but the reason it is not covered by insurance (as far as I know) is that there is little if any research done on its relationship to epilepsy.

anybody have recommendations in Cleveland area and is it REALLY worth it?

Dr. Amen has a bunch of seminars on public tv where he sells books and CDs. He seems to be big on supplements and brain retraining as the answer to pretty much everything.

We did 20 sessions last summer. Our insurance wouldn't cover it unfortunately. The cost was $1000.00 per ten sessions.

Neurofeedback has not been recognized by the medical society as being relevant to epilepsy so it is not covered by most insurances.

I don't know about United Healthcare specifically though.

Last edited:
I can only tell you all that my wife tried it with success and I strongly believe that it is worth trying. NFB is essentially exercise for the brain - pushing it to establish new (normalized) habits. Just like with a personal trainer at the gym, targeted excersize can achieve great results.

Dignan, if you decide to pursue it, I would love to hear regular updates on your experience (like Robin did with Rebecca's experience). With my wife, we didn't see any results and almost gave up after 3 months. However, we stuck with it and 2 months later, the results just "clicked". It was like magic. It was worth every penny we spent.

Recently went to Dr. Walker and met a lady whose brother was suffering from Grand Mals. They were not controlled by meds, but after going to NF with Walker, he has been 2 mos seizure free so far. She also noticed that her brother's behavior (he has cognitive/learning disabilities) has improved. She also told me that she met a lady last time she was at Dr. W, who brought their daughter NF. She didn't have seizures but could not speak properly (could not even say one word properly). After NF, I guess she started saying simple but complete sentences and called Dr. W a miracle worker.

His office was packed with at some point, people standing in the hallways. Anyone else have any experiences/success with Dr. W?

We did 20 sessions last summer. Our insurance wouldn't cover it unfortunately. The cost was $1000.00 per ten sessions.

How did the NF work for you guys? Was it helpful and did the NF sessions normalize the final QEEG?

Back
Top Bottom