auditory phantom/dream or hallucination

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Emee

Stalwart
Reaction score
A few times I have suddenly been awakened by a noise I can't identify. I have experienced hearing what sounds like a gun shot in my head before when I am almost asleep, but I understand that does happen to others. This noise is like a scream & at first I think it's me but it couldn't have been me because I was almost face down in my pillow with mouth closed asleep. It is so real I'm sitting in bed listening for it to happen again. Does anyone else ever experience this? Thanks.

These auditory phenomena are a form of hypnic jerk, or sleep start. Usually we recognize them as brief twitches or jerks of muscles while falling asleep or shortly after being asleep but the hypnic jerk phenomenon can be auditory as well, and take the form of hearing sudden explosions, gunshots, loud cracks, etc. They can occur as long as a couple of hours after falling asleep. They are generally benign but if one happens to have a severe headache following an "explosion", it is important to seek medical attention.

Thanks Zolt, I must not have read that thread when it came up. I never considered that they were a form of seizures.

I hear things a lot in my sleep that wake me up. It's usually a loud noise like my alarm going off or something fell. It scares the crap out of me at times because I'll think someone is in the house.

I may be asleep on the couch in the living room and think my husband was talking to me that wakes me up. I'll answer him too. I don't know if I could have been having a seizure or if I was just dreaming we were talking and that's why I say something back?

Nothing to be alarmed about...what you are experiencing is the "sound" of your consciousness entering an alternate state of reality/another dimension...I experience this all the time...so does my wife and she's not epileptic (but we both have similar "characteristics")...it's perfectly normal (assuming you are human)...

Others believe it is the soul "snapping" into and out of the body...some of us are just more aware than others thus not everyone experiences it...consciously

Last edited:
When I was probably 10-15 or so years old I would often hear a sound in my head like a door slamming when I was just waking up in the morning. In fact, sometimes it seemed that I could sort of make it happen. It was weird. It's one of the reasons I believe that I had epilepsy long before I was actually diagnosed. I still will hear the odd noise at times, upon awakening, but not quite like that.

I hear, quite regularly, a sound of someone knocking loudly at my door. It startles me and I always check just to see. This has been going on for several years. Before epilepsy. This is why I am awake right now. I've been up about an hour due to it happening. I'm wide awake! :(

I hear, quite regularly, a sound of someone knocking loudly at my door. It startles me and I always check just to see. This has been going on for several years. Before epilepsy. This is why I am awake right now. I've been up about an hour due to it happening. I'm wide awake! :(

Oh it was me sorry...I just wanted to know if you wanted to try some of my peanut butter cookies but then I had to run because someone was knocking at my door...go figure! :p

Back
Top Bottom