auras

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

ammeread

New
Reaction score
Has anyone had the experience that they can stop themselves having a fit by ignoring there aura or concentrating on something else?

Yes. Because of my photosensitivity to light, auras usually are the first indication a seizure is about to occur. I find by sitting down and staring at something like a wall with as less objects inbetween can help. Keeping the eyes still and trying to relax as much as possible usually works for me more times than not from entering a seizure. Trying to just totally ignore the sense of the aura from being the main thing in my mind.
The challenge at times can be to get the body relaxed. This can depend of how deep the aura is.

2 things I do- right away is go to my breath & try to keep my breathing slower & deeper.

Also I try to count backward by 2's starting at 99. I never get far but when trying to mentally process something it seems to lessen the intensity of the seizure sometime and often I get less of a post-ictal phase than I expected.

Back
Top Bottom