Auras??

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
If I or someone has asked this before, PLEASE delete and direct me to it, I don't want to flood with the same question over and over...

Are there any generic auras? One's everyone has or something? I've tried researching and come across so many sites that give their own version of auras. One even said only people that have TC's are the only ones to get auras.

If there aren't any general auras, can I get an idea on some of yours? Just trying to figure all these things I have been experiencing since this last "episode" that was probably a seizure the other day...

Aura information like that is hard to find -- but from what I've read, types of auras are not specific to types of E. For example; flashing lights or other visual illusions can be a sign of an occipital lobe seizure, BUT they can also present as an aura for someone who suffers from a different kind of E (temporal, frontal or parietal).

My partner, who I'm nearly positive has E but hasn't been diagnosed yet... he gets a kind of aura hours before he has an uncontrollable or inappropriate laughing or crying fit. So auras aren't just specific to T/Cs... I think.

Additionally, it's sometimes hard to tell if it's an aura, or a separate seizure, since auras are a kind of simple partial seizure.

Confused yet? :lol:

I see Nak has already directed you to one of the aura threads.

Yes they are all confusing. and no, not everyone with Grand Mals/Tonic Clonic seizure have an aura, and those that don't wish they do. Also people who have never had a grand mal still experiance auras/simple partial, mainly before a complex partial or drop attack. (I believe Crystal11 is one of these "lucky" people. Not that having E at all is lucky, but lucky in the sense that she has never experianced a GM)

So things vary from person to person. Different strokes for different folks. What might be common for one, may not be common for some. *that vaguely reminds me of something, but i can't remember right now. what else is new? lol*

Back
Top Bottom