Auras connected with dreams?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

No-brainer

Pillar
Reaction score
Hi.
I just joined and this is my first post.
I used to get a few auras per month (prior to having my brain removed).
I recall that auras often started when I suddenly recalled a dream from the night before.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Thanks,
No-brainer.

Hi No-brainer, welcome to CWE!

What form do your auras take? Are they primarily visual or are there other aspects?
Do your seizures originate near the hippocampus? Since the hippocampus is the area of the brain related to encoding of memory, if your seizures originate near there, they may have a "memory" component, similar to those who have auras that manifest as deja vu or jamais vu episodes.

I hope we get to hear more of your history and interests.

Best,
Nakamova

Hi No-brainer, welcome to CWE!

What form do your auras take? Are they primarily visual or are there other aspects?
Do your seizures originate near the hippocampus? Since the hippocampus is the area of the brain related to encoding of memory, if your seizures originate near there, they may have a "memory" component, similar to those who have auras that manifest as deja vu or jamais vu episodes.

I hope we get to hear more of your history and interests.

Best,
Nakamova
Hey there Super.
My auras are not sensory at all. Just a sudden feeling of unreality. When I was younger I recall often thinking "hey I'm awake, but this just can't be real."
Anywho, my neurologist sent me to Montreal where they did extensive testing and discovered that my seizures were all coming from my right hyppocampus. So they simply lopped that out and filled the hole with a bit of cement. (The cement helps me to keep my balance.) :D

I see it's almost time for work. Gotta run!!

Hi, Super.

And welcome~!

Ugh. Sorry you are going through more seizures.

One kind of seizure that I get is an episode of intense memory. I call them a memory zinger. They are a real memory from my past (not deja vu which is thinking you recognize something, but you really don't) Usually the memories are accoompanied by a bad feeling, even if it is a good memory. It's anothe type of temporal lobe seizure.

Hi Endless,

I have those episodes too. I thought I was losing my mind. I would just be sitting around and all of a sudden I would have these really intense memories, where I would feel that I was actually there experiencing the event again. Seemed that all of my senses were heightened. They only last a few seconds, but seem to comes in waves. I don't get a bad feeling with them, but do get weirded out because everything seems so incredibly real.

I had been meaning to ask about these episodes on the board, but I'm such a procrastinator. Glad I found this thread. Thanks for sharing your experience.

And by the way, welcome No-brainer!

Zbird,

Mine are kinda like yours - but it doesn't seem real, like I'm actually there (like a flashback). It's just a really intense memory. I"m still firmly in the here & now. Kind of hard to describe. And I have that icky forboding feeling with it, like I do my auras (which are a kind of electrical feeling plus forboding).

Back
Top Bottom