Autonomic Simple Partials - how are these diagnosed?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

elizzza811

Stalwart
Reaction score
I have a pit-in-my-stomach hunch that I'm still having seizures, some of which might be autonomic simple partials in nature. But every time I mention these symptoms to my neurologist, she doesn't even seem phased.

- Often times I find myself 'welling up' with anger and rage. My rage response is often sudden and unprovoked, or at least not in line with the trigger.

- Sometimes I'll suddenly start pouring sweat for no reason. (Since I'm middle-aged, these too easily get blamed on peri-menopause, even though these attacks have been going on for 2 decades.)

- On a few occasions while I was outside gardening this past summer I started salivating enough for it to drip out of my mouth. This has never happened before this past summer.

- Unprovoked sexual arousal. (I didn't tell my neurologist about this one, too embarrassed.)

- Often times my digestion will suddenly come to a screeching halt and I will bloat up so badly that it hurts to bend at the waist, even to sit. Sometimes this will even happen hours after a meal or on days I haven't even eaten. It's always sudden.

- Salty taste along my gumline - always there, but severity fluctuates.

- This rythmic gritting, grinding, and clenching of my teeth - always there, just its severity seems to fluctuate.

*** The rage, bloat, sexual arousal, salty taste, and an increase in this gritting/grinding/clenching of my teeth often occur simultaneously.

I've read up on abdominal epilepsy, and it does exist. So why aren't any of these potentially autonomic symptoms being taken seriously? Heck, GI symptoms were probably my number 1 complaint prior to my epilepsy diagnosis, and I was put through 2 consecutive colonoscopies over a 2-year period in an effort to explain these gastro symptoms - nothing.

Has anyone here been diagnosed with autonomic simple partials or abdominal epilepsy? How were these diagnosed? Seems all my neuro wants to do is to send me to a shrink, and it's getting old.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom