Azithromycin for catamenial epilepsy?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Junebug

New
Reaction score
Anyone heard of taking this for catamenial epilepsy along with reg meds? The PA at my epileptoligist suggested that I try this since I've been having breakthrough seiz. around my cycles. I guess it's an anti-biotic but has been used for catamenial E

J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2000 Sep;294(3):909-15.
Enhanced anticonvulsant activity of ganaxolone after neurosteroid withdrawal in a rat model of catamenial epilepsy.

Reddy DS, Rogawski MA.

Neuronal Excitability Section, Epilepsy Research Branch, National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892-1408, USA.

Perimenstrual catamenial epilepsy, the exacerbation of seizures in association with menstruation, may in part be due to withdrawal of the progesterone metabolite allopregnanolone (3alpha-hydroxy-5alpha-pregnan-20-one), an endogenous anticonvulsant neurosteroid that is a positive allosteric modulator of gamma-aminobutyric acid(A) receptors. Neurosteroid replacement is a potential approach to therapy, but natural neurosteroids have poor bioavailability and may be converted to metabolites with undesired progestational activity. The synthetic neuroactive steroid ganaxolone (3alpha-hydroxy-3beta-methyl-5alpha-pregnane-20-one) is an orally active analog of allopregnanolone that is not converted to the hormonally active 3-keto form. To assess the potential of ganaxolone in the treatment of catamenial seizure exacerbations, a state of persistently high serum progesterone (pseudopregnancy) was induced in 26-day-old female rats with gonadotropins, and neurosteroids were withdrawn on postnatal day 39 with finasteride, a 5alpha-reductase inhibitor that blocks the conversion of progesterone to allopregnanolone. Finasteride treatment during pseudopregnancy results in a reduction in the threshold for pentylenetetrazol seizures. During this state of enhanced seizure susceptibility, there was a 3-fold increase in the anticonvulsant potency of ganaxolone (control ED(50) = 3.5 mg/kg; withdrawn = 1.2 mg/kg) without a change in the potency for induction of motor toxicity in the rotarod test. The plasma concentrations of ganaxolone did not differ significantly in control and withdrawn animals; the estimated plasma concentrations of ganaxolone producing 50% seizure protection were approximately 500 and approximately 225 ng/ml in control and withdrawn rats, respectively. Unlike ganaxolone, neurosteroid withdrawal was associated with a decrease in the anticonvulsant potency of diazepam (control ED(50) = 1.9 mg/kg; withdrawn = 4.1 mg/kg) and valproate (control ED(50) = 279 mg/kg; withdrawn = 460 mg/kg). The enhanced anticonvulsant potency of ganaxolone after neurosteroid withdrawal supports the use of ganaxolone as a specific treatment for perimenstrual catamenial epilepsy.

Back
Top Bottom