Back from my appt yesterday...

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Junebug

New
Reaction score
It was great! :woot: my husband, Jeremy went with me and the 3 of us talked for about 90 min! He really helped Jeremy understand more about how the seizures affect my body, what triggers them and what types of siezures there are.
He's a great dr and didn't want to jump in and diagnose me with catamenial epilepsy but didn't NOT want to diagnose me either which I totally agree 100% with him after talking with him. More testing needs to be done to confirm the diagnosis.
What I really love too is that he gave me options! I've been to neuros that told me that we'd try so and so and if that doesn't work then we'll try this and that....yada yada yada. You know the drill. My dr said told me that I could go off the Topamax if I didn't think it was working, (I don't feel it has been,) and go on the Keppra XR, I could start swiping my VNS magnet a few times a day, morn, noon and night to get a more reg current, (not sure how that works but he said it does help a lot of patients.) start back on taking the brand name Lamictal, (instead of the generic,) and see if that helps or I could see an OBGYN who will work along side him to do more testing and try other meds other than the Keppra.
I told him I'd try switching meds and get off the Topamax to the Keppra, go back to the brand name Lamictal and swipe my VNS magnet and if those didn't improve my seizure control then we'd talk with the OBGYN about other
treatments.
He wants to do an eeg, and bloodwork. I'm fine with getting bloodwork done, but it's been about 15 yrs since I've had an eeg done and that one was a 24 hr eeg that I was able to go home with it on. This one is a sleep deprived EEG and I'm not too fond of those. YUK!

forgot to add, he also checked the diagnostics on my VNS and turned it up a couple notches.
HOLY CRAP! I need to remember that the voltage on those things are a lot higher than they seem and I shouldn't try and "go the distance." LOL!

Glad you feel listened to, Junebug. I know how much that means.
Wishing the best for you.

Hey Junebug, sounds like you found a :doctor: you can work with and that's great. :mrt:

That's wonderful news to hear!
Hope it all goes well from there!

:tup:

Glad to hear you found a doc that you and your hubby can work with. :) Yeah.....don't try to tough thinks out..better to complain. :) You know what they say, squeaky wheel gets the grease. :)

Back
Top Bottom