Back pain = Seizure?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

valeriedl

VIP
Supporter
Reaction score
I've had back pain for a good while now. The dr that I've gone to recently told me that my spine is bent. I had a CAT scan done last week so when I see him next week we can try to figure out something to do about it. Some people don't have any problems with having a bent spine it but others, like lucky me, it causes pain.

A brief description of it - The pain is normally in the lower right side of my back and will become stronger if I turn the wrong way or sit down too fast. The pain will shoot down my right leg, sometimes as far as my ankle.

Up until very recently I never knew that I had a seizure unless there was someone there to see me have it, however for about the last month now I am usually knowing that I'm having one.

On Monday my back started acting up and I could barely move with out horrible pain in it and running down my leg. The next day I had 3 seizures. Up until today the pain has subsided, but I still have to watch how I turn because it will seize up on me with the pain going down my leg. I don't think I've had any seizures since Monday either, but most of the day I spend by myself because my husband works so I'm not 100% sure of that.

I know that the back pain did not cause my first seizure, that was brought on by a virus that got into my spinal fluid and went into my brain.

I never really thought about the back pain causing a seizure because I never really put 2 and 2 together, plus if I was having seizures I may not have known I was having them.

Does anyone think that the back pain could be causing a seizure?

Last edited:
Some people get muscle spasms in their back when they have a seizure. That'd make your back hurt like crazy.

I've got to believe the brain can also send pain signals around the body. I wonder if there is a relationship between Epilepsy and Fibromyalgia (which could cause back pain). Lyrica and Gabapentin are used to treat both. I did a quick google search and couldn't find a scientific article about this, only about the relationship between PNES and fibromyalgia.

Some of the AEDs we take can also suck the potassium out of our bodies, like Topamax and Diamox. Potassium regulates the muscles in the body, and can cause cramping, including in the back. At least it did in mine; I had terrible spasms in one side of my back - ouch. If there is a potassium problem it would show up in your blood tests.

It could also be just a bad back. Have you seen a sports medicine doctor? If it's a mechanical problem they can figure it out pretty quick and get it treated.

I've gone to my family dr about it and all he's done is send me to back therapy, where they just have me do excerises, or he will give me pain killers. I went to this new dr a few weeks ago and as I said he had a CAT scan done on me. I go back to see him on Tuesday. I'm going to see what he says about it and if he can do anything. If he can't then I'm going to try seeing a different dr.

Thanks alot Endless for doing all that looking up for me!

Back
Top Bottom