Back pains after a tonic-clonic

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

rhiz

New
Reaction score
I had my first tonic clonic this time, after experiencing myoclonics for the last 2 years, last week and ever since I got out of the hospital I've had really vicious back pains

If I do anything from hiccup or burp I get severe back aches and I can barely walk now

I'm wondering if this is normal? I'm hardly a well exercised person, but this is very different for me

Unfortunately it is normal, though you might want to get checked out by a doctor and/or physical therapist to make sure there isn't an injury other than muscle strain. :( Ultrasound treatment can help. Also ibuprofen, heat wraps, mild exercise.

When I had first tonic-clonics, it felt like my back was bruised all over, and the muscles were extremely sore. I couldn't sleep on my stomach at all, because it was too painful to arch my back even a tiny bit. Getting in and out of my car was a chore -- I had to remember to move my knees first (rather than pivot at my waist). But eventually everything healed and my back is fine now. Once you feel better, I recommend trying Pilates exercises -- a stronger core can take the pressure off your lower back muscles.

Normal after a tonic clonic, sure. Muscle strains happen in my back that cause pain.

BUT........I would go see help if I could barely walk.
Herniated disc, pinched nerve, bulging disc, whatever you want to suspect the diagnoses to be called. May get worse without caution. Because you talk about walking, It sounds as if it may be in the lower part... Numbness or Tingling may start... Get some pictures taking. You might just need some back stretching exercises.

Back
Top Bottom