BAD seizure last night, with bad results

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

jamie0168

New
Reaction score
I had my first grand mal seizure last night in awhile. It's strange because I usually will have tons of partial seizures leading up to those, but this one came out of nowhere. Before I knew it, I was waking up, still shaking like crazy and panting heavily. Once I was completely over it, I noticed a huge spot on my bed that was wet, the boyfriend said I'd been drooling like crazy. I was also bleeding from the mouth. Apparently, I'd bitten my tongue VERY hard and bit a good chunk out of the side of it. In the morning, I didn't have my balance. I could barely lift my legs to put my jeans on. There's a huge spot on my tongue where new skin grew over the blood, so it's dark red and swollen. It hurts to eat and drink. I was so scared. And I'm scared to go to sleep tonight because I might have another. But on the other hand, I'm sooo tired.:razz2: = :crying:

Ouch!.....

Sorry to here that Jamie! I don't know WHAT is going on!....it seems like there's a TON of members having seizures lately!

Hang in there!....and get some rest.

Peace
Spencer
:rock:

:(

Stacy had a few TCs on Sunday too. Sigh.

Ok, it just hit me about 2 minutes ago. I just realized how much pain I should have felt with that tongue issue. I mean heck, sometimes you bring up a tear if you accidentally bite it while eating. But for God's sake! I bit a small part of mine off! And I also haven't gotten my precription refilled yet! <crying> I don't want to go to bed tonight! I'm so scared that it's going to happen again. It's just scary thinking how bad this could get.
I mean, how terrible is it when you bite a part of your tongue off and you can't even feel it until morning! Btw, yes, I'm totally freaking out here!
Has anyone else done this to themselves?

Nope jamie, that hasn't ever happened to me. But, if you can, I'd be asking the boyfriend to spend the night. If for no other reason than to make sure you're ok. That way you can get some decent sleep. And go get your prescrip filled! :)

Well, I live with my boyfriend. He'll be there anyway. Problem is, he can't just stick his hand in my mouth when I'm biting like nuts. He can't prevent this tongue thing from happening again. My mom says that I've done this before, years back when I had another grand mal (tonic clonic.) But I don't think it was THIS bad. But it draw blood, she claims.:cry:

Yup...I have granmals, and it seems when I do, my mouth always ends up with blood in it. Honestly, just have your boyfriend make sure that you stay on your side so that you can breathe.

Oh...and for times when you're sleeping alone, I'd suggest getting a body pillow or piling pillows around your legs and waist, up to your ribcage, to help prop you on your side. As for the tongue biting...well, it happens...and you'll end up talking funny for about a week and your tongue will hurt...but the tongue is actually pretty tough.

aw, I'm soooo sorry

Jamie, I'm sooooo sorry to hear what happened. I know I butcher the begeezers out of my tongue every time I have a t/c. Usually I bite all the way thru both sides of my tongue, and yeah, it HURTS. I am soooo sorry sweetie.

Take care, we'll be thinking of ya!!

Meetz

Well, it's kind of comforting to know that this tongue thing happens to others and they still haven't completely destroyed their mouths. I'm still contemplating on not sleeping tonight. Problem is, I'm already so tired because I didn't sleep after last night.

Actually, going without sleep is probably one of the worst things you can do. Sleep is when our bodies have the chance to relax, and our minds the chance to work through stress that might be bothering us subconciously. Seriously, get some rest tonight. When I don't get enough sleep, I'm more likely to have a seizure. So seriously, get some rest. Sleep. Have your honey hold you and just sleep.

Yeah, I understand..it's scary. But, just think, it could have been worse. And, your bf did not take off running. :) My hubby had the most terrified look on his face the first time I had one in front of him. *shakes head* I feel guilty some times....but then I think about what he said about the one time I had one while we were..being intimate..:) and I giggle. Go find something to laugh at. :) Laughter is the best medicine at times. :) And then go to bed. :)

Perhaps looking a the brighter side... you at least were in a soft place. Crashing onto the concrete isn't much fun. REST your head and think pleasant thoughts. Look throught the threads for breathing techniques, and the suggestions to try mediatation and yoga. You might benefit from some relaxation ideas.

Jamie, Stacy has bitten through the side of her tongue before. She had a "flap" on the side of her tongue for about 6 months, but it eventually healed. The tongue is resilient.

(((((((( Jamie )))))))))

So sorry to hear about the seizure!

:(

I understand how painful that can be.
I've had my share! It hurts! Eventually
it will heal, but whatever you do, do not
drink hot liquids! And try to eat on one
side of the mouth and having a cold
compress does help but do not put ice
directly on it. If the wound is deep, the
Doctor may prescribe you antibiotics to
prevent infections.

Oral Surgeons have recommended Pepsodent
for those who had bitten their tongues as
it's gentle and won't burn, so that's what
I had been using all these years until when
it had healed, it was back to normal tooth-
paste that I use.

ALSO - Oral Surgeons had advised this:
DO NOT SMOKE!
DO NOT EAT NUTS - such as sunflower
seeds, for such can embed inside or get
impacted inside of tongue if it is deep.
EAT A SOFT DIET FOR AT LEAST ONE WEEK.

I have bitten my tongue at least 9 times
in my life maybe more.

SO WHATEVER YOU DO ... CALL YOUR
NEURO / EPI!

You might want to try getting something called Chloraseptic at your drug store. It has a squirter at the top of the bottle that helps you aim it directly at your injury. It numbs some of the pain and it keeps your wound clean as well. Or, you might want to try Oragel, which is used to numb gums for infants. Either technique if not overused will help the physical pain. I don't know if they should be combined with aspirin, Ibuprofen or acetomenophen (like Tylenol).
I know when I had wisdom teeth cut out, they had me use either salt water or Chloraseptic to rinse my mouth to prevent infection. And, I was also on a liquid diet of highly nutritious drinks to prevent me from chewing and getting food into the cuts. I think they gave me Ensure. Ingredients in Ensure include water, sugar, corn maltodextrin, calcium and sodium caseinates, soy oil, soy protein isolate, corn oil, canola oil, artificial flavor, soy lecthin and carrageenan for the high protein 'homemade vanilla' shake. It also has 60% maganese which RobinN recommends. Most vitamins are listed as 25% of the RDA per 8 oz bottle. I think they had me mix it from a powder form when I had that surgery, but it's already mixed and available in liquid form. I like it chilled.

I had my first grand mal seizure last night in awhile. It's strange because I usually will have tons of partial seizures leading up to those, but this one came out of nowhere. Before I knew it, I was waking up, still shaking like crazy and panting heavily. Once I was completely over it, I noticed a huge spot on my bed that was wet, the boyfriend said I'd been drooling like crazy. I was also bleeding from the mouth. Apparently, I'd bitten my tongue VERY hard and bit a good chunk out of the side of it. In the morning, I didn't have my balance. I could barely lift my legs to put my jeans on. There's a huge spot on my tongue where new skin grew over the blood, so it's dark red and swollen. It hurts to eat and drink. I was so scared. And I'm scared to go to sleep tonight because I might have another. But on the other hand, I'm sooo tired.:razz2: = :crying:

hi there so sorry you had an sz hope that you feel a little better now and you not so tiryed. now.
take care
cazzie

Back
Top Bottom