balance problems

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Emee

Stalwart
Reaction score
Do any of you have balance problems not caused by your meds?

I am constantly off balance, always feel unstable on my feet, objects sometimes look like they're moving when in reality they aren't. I also have vision problems but the eye exam nothing wrong. I do have Meniere's which is most likely the cause of all my balance issues but I also have a head injury. I just wonder if there is a link between seizures & balance. thanks for your comments.

I'm always dizzy after a bad seizure. The paramedics always try to keep you from standing up or walking anywhere after a seizure. When I was in the epilepsy ward, they were really worried about people falling. It must be very common with seizures.

Last edited:
I get double or blurry vision at times. I think it's a side effect of one of the meds that I'm on because I asked my eye dr about it and he said that there weren't any problems.

When I'm having those problems I have a hard time walking because everything is blurry or I'm seeing double.

I have bad balance when they ask me to walk with one foot in front of the other or to close my eyes and walk a straight line. My doctors always have to stand beside me and assure me they won't let me fall. I would never pass a field sobriety test evn though I don't drink.

Yes,without a doubt although mine has been put down to problems with my eyes but at the test i was told some anti seizure meds do have a detrimental effect on your eyes.So i don't know was it accelerated by the meds or not.Hope you find a soloution quick,i know how horrible an experience it is.At my first test i was ok,just needed reading glasses a year or so later i was getting balance issues,double vision and vomiting,so who knows.Another bloody E mystery!!!

Last edited:
My balance problems started either when I had a stroke (before epilepsy) and maybe even before that.

Sorry,i forgot to mention this,a few years ago when my Tegratol dose increased by a large quantity,i had bouts off dizziness,but that stopped when it was reduced.Dizziness and balance problems can also be caused by inner ear problems.

I have bad balance when they ask me to walk with one foot in front of the other or to close my eyes and walk a straight line. My doctors always have to stand beside me and assure me they won't let me fall. I would never pass a field sobriety test evn though I don't drink.
same as me for 35 yrs now and I too don't drink.

My neuro asks me to walk back and forth with my feet strait down, on my toes and on my heels. I'll do this with my eyes open and closed. I've never had a problem with it.

I did have a problem once though and that was only because I wore shoes with a little bit of a heal on them. I asked him if I could take them off so we could be sure it was the shoes that were causing the problem, and it was! We both laughed about it.

I originally was in a coma due to encephalitis, out of that I had balance and depth-perception brain damage and was left with TLE, so in my case- yes, definitely!

I also get balance problems almost like vertigo, now and then, which I think is caused by my lamotrogine.

Emee
I also have the combo of epilepsy and meneires but the meds I was put on for menieres have helped control my dizziness. I have slight balance problems on days around my menstrual cycle but that is about the only time it arises after I started the meds the audiologist prescribed me to decrease the water retention that happens for menieres. It may be worth talking to your menieres doctor if you are currently on a med that doesn't control your dizziness or balance as well as it should.

I was hospital sized for seven days after my vision and equilibrium were terrible. It was from taking to much Dilantin. I was lazy and taking all my meds at once instead of throughout the day. When I was going to bed I would have to hold on to everything around me and normally I'm a semi healthy person who jogs a lot.

Oh and tell your doctor. Have your blood levels checked. So they can put you on the right dosage. If that is the problem.

Back
Top Bottom