Been diagnosed, getting a medical ID. Which is the best?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I have been diagnosed with juvenile myoclonic epilepsy and am going for another scan on Tuesday. My family have decided to get me an ID jewellery but I don't know which is best. A bracelet or a dog tag necklace?

They are also thinking of getting a dog. My seizures aren't too bad but I get absence seizures a lot during the day and I spend a lot of time going to college and sometimes they can be pretty bad especially when I cross roads. They want me to be independent as well which is what I want too, so does anyone know what the best breeds are?

Thank you :) x

Hey! I just wanted to say welcome!

I don't know much about dog breeds for helping, but for your id I would say whichever you're more likely to wear. Everyday. If you or whoever is paying is okay with it you might consider both because with summer coming up you might not want a bracelet on in the pool or a necklace to a wedding etc. just an idea to make sure you're wearing it all the time!

Have a good one, keep in touch with more questions! Glad you've joined us! Everyone on here is wonderful! Really helped me through my diagnosis! Take care, Katie.

There are different groups that train companion dogs for people with epilepsy. (The dogs can't predict seizures, but they're trained to stay with you if you have one.) You should contact them to see what's available. Of course even untrained dogs can make wonderful companions and can help to relieve stress. :)

Somebody once told me not long before I got Buddy that westies are great at sensing a seizure not predicting. I have Buddy my westie though he's not a seizure alert dog. I got him as anybody else would get a puppy and he's 7 1/2 months old. You can get trained seizure alert dogs. I don't think we can really say a certain breed is better at sensing seizures tbh. Are you looking for a seizure alert fog or a pet dog like my boy.

http://www.my-medical-id.com/

This is where I got mine from and really like it and since I was only across the state line, they mailed it for free and credited shipping for me. (I didn't realize they were local to me!)

And I wear a bracelet and am very happy with the quality from these guys.

As for dogs, unless they are specifically trained for detecting seizures, I believe how a dog reacts to your seizure is going to be based off the dogs personality and your relationship with them. I have two Shar-peis and only one of them alerts me of my seizures.

Back
Top Bottom