The Bellefonds Method

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Shelley

Veteran
Reaction score
I'm not sure if I remember this right. But ion tv had a rehash of a 48 hrs. show concerning the brain and brain growth. Bellafonds European brain training was shown. Has anyone heard of it?

thnx

wow, ok thanks. I wonder if it would work for epilepsy, or is there enough research to even fathom a guess?

I don't know. Some of it sounds similar to the Andrews-Reiter (AR) approach, but I think the AR approach is more specific to seizure control.

This is interesting Shelley. Thanks for sharing it.

Andrews-Reiter (AR) approach. What is this? I have not heard of it.

Bellefonds

Hi I am one of the authors of the Bellefonds method.

The link to the website is:

http://www.learningstrategycenter.com

Which was not cited by Bernard.

The method only concerns LD resulting or in conjunction w/epilepsy and does require for it to be totally controled before considereing this methodology as certain aspects (use of headphones, certain "against the clock" exercises) can trigger an attack

BTW CBS was supposed to come top Eurpe to interview us at the time. Instead they interviewed a simple practitioner.... .

Hope this helps,

I. Feldman

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Isabel, welcome to the forum. :hello:

Thanks for popping in and explaining a little bit about the system as it relates to epilepsy. Are you aware of any statistics or studies on how people with epilepsy have done with the Bellefonds system?

I found the CBS story: Brain Aerobics

Hi Bernard:

We were not happy with what the person in the interview said. You can't "fix" the brain, you can create compensating strategies based on cerebral plasticity.

Yes I do have a complete study in French with an epileptic population but only with the auditory processing componenent and not the total method.

Were the results of the study published (even if it's in French)? I couldn't find anything in the usual sources when I searched the internet (a long time ago).

you will not find it on the net. Stuff just started gettting onto the net in Europe in 2000 (archives etc). This article is from the early 90's. I'll dig around and see if I still have an offprint and send you one

Wondering if this can be a link....

[I was filling out my disability forms and was having trouble describing my last job so I did a search to print out information and found this post. I worked in the ILA department in Pittsburgh under Dr. Nicholsen, as a Bellefonds Clinician. I worked in that department for over 4 years and also saw children in the evenings in our clinic. I never had a history of seizures while working there and was told that children with a history of seizures shouldn't participate in the program. I had my first seizure shortly after leaving Holy Family Institute as a Bellefonds Clinician. I'm now wondering if working 8 hours a day plus evening hours doing the therapy with children in some way triggered my seizure disorder. Very interesting that I found this information on this site now. I have been reading and posting on here since my diagnosis a few months ago.

There is information throughout this website on PNES - Psychological Non-Epileptic Seizures.

There is also more information and research being written about seizures caused by food sensitivities. Our SAD - Standard American Diet is causing a host of neurological disorders, and other medical symptoms. Which of course would not be related to work that you did, but more of a lifestyle choice. Something that is worth considering when ones work schedule does not allow for proper nutrition.

Also it is worth remembering... Seizures are only a symptom.

I was referring more to the one portion of the Bellefonds Therapy that required the clinician and the student to listen to tapes/cd's that can trigger seizures (which is why we didn't accept anyone in the program with a seizure disorder). At the time of my employment I didn't know I had epilepsy. I didn't have my first seizure until right after I left. I know the therapy didn't cause my epilepsy I was just curious if exposing myself to the therapy for 8 hours a day and during my evening hours could have triggered it.

I think exposing yourself to the therapy might have had a contributing role if you already had a low seizure threshold from some other factor. Did you leave the employment under stressful circumstances? Sometimes major changes (as in a relationship or job) can push someone over the seizure edge.

In my case for instance, aspartame and stresses related to the end of a long-term relationship were some of the likely initial seizure triggers for me. In anyone else, and by themselves they wouldn't have caused a seizure, but in combination, and with my pre-existing vulnerability (perhaps from a childhood head injury) they pushed me over the edge.

Back
Top Bottom