benign rolandic epilepsy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

brendlm

New
Reaction score
My 11 year old son began having major behavioral problems begining in 1st grade. It just gets worse as the years progress. He was diagnosed with benign rolandic epilepsy Friday after having an eptileptic seizure during a sleep study and an abnormal EEG. No telling how long these have been going on. He has his own room and I never even noticed. The doctor said these types of seizures children usually out grow and there is no need for medication. My issue is his behavior. From what I've read sometimes this can cause behavior and emotional problems. At times he gets in trouble in class for being disruptive, not respectful to teachers, and just being defiant. At home the same issues. Its a fight every morning and is totally defiant. He demands me to do whatever he wants. He even has been physical with me and his siblings. These are rare, but has happened. Lieing is a huge issue as well. After filling out a survey for the neurologist he told me he sees and hears things. He admitted to the doctor about hearing things, but said he does not see things that aren't real. I'm just torn because I can't tell if he is lieing to me and now oh my gosh I better tell them the truth or I realize I shouldn't really tell them what I'm seeing or hearing. I am turning in an application for him to get a mental health evalution which the neurologist agreed he needs to have one. I'm at a loss, really frustrated and just want him to get help. I have 3 other children and a husband and it just has been really difficult. I just don't know what to do. I feel like I"m on the road to some answers, but with him on no meds and not knowing what else to do, but the mental health eval I'm just looking for advice, help, and someone who can relate to my situation. We have seen two counselors over the years and they always say there is a presence of this or that, but not bad enough to treat. What! I don't want it to get to the point, duh! Thats why I was there!

Welcome to the site brendlm.

What you described sounds so stressful. Have you asked the neurologist if s/he can suggest a neuropsychiatrist? Someone like that might have a better understanding of what's happening.

Last edited:
We had to go out of town just to see the neurologist. She did not have anyone she could refer us too. She told me to call the doctor to ask who he would recommend. Luckily I know someone who works at a mental health facility and asked where to begin. I'm turning in our application Monday.

You are definitely lucky to know someone in the mental health facility. I'm sure more people will post their input as well but keep us updated as to how things go.

I hope you can find a counselor or therapist who will help. Another possibility might be neuorofeedback, which can help with some attention/behavioral issues -- don't know if it would be applicable in your son's case, but might be worth checking out.

Bre...

First question... where are you located? I have been dealing with a top doctor in NYC. I can't comment on your situation, but if you have the opportunity to meet with these doc's, you can gain some good info.

Hold on to hope...

First question... where are you located? I have been dealing with a top doctor in NYC. I can't comment on your situation, but if you have the opportunity to meet with these doc's, you can gain some good info.

Hold on to hope...

Lord, I wish. I'm in Oklahoma. My 4 yr old had a gran mal seizure today. Someone commented on my other post that it may be genetic. What the chance of 2 out of my 4 kids with seizures. I'm at a loss.....

I am sorry to hear that your child had that type of seizure. I am sure that you can find a great doctor in OK. We have also taken our daughter to a integrative neurologist, do a search for

Brainmending -- Maya Shetreat-Klein, MD

This doc's thinking is that there is a strong relationship between diet and brain activity/seizures. It's probably worth a call to her. You could probably even have a session with her via skype.

I feel your pain. Stay strong.
Joe

These articles might interest you, since a lot of schools have wifi now...it might explain the sounds he hears too. I've read so many articles about wifi exposure being linked to behavior problems in children, but also exposure to cell phone radiation prenatally.

Behavioral and Cognitive Effects of Microwave Exposure:
http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/scc28/sc4/Behavioral effects.pdf

Do cell phones cause behavioral problems?
http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2010/12/07/do-cell-phones-cause-behavioral-problems/

This interview too with a Swedish researcher, a true expert on the subject...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom