Beware of Liquid Nicotine for E-Cigarettes

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Cint

VIP
Supporter
Reaction score
According to this article, this new form of liquid nicotine is very dangerous.... so dangerous it can cause seizures and even death.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/selling-poison-barrel-liquid-nicotine-035632903.html

A dangerous new form of a powerful stimulant is hitting markets nationwide, for sale by the vial, the gallon and even the barrel.

The drug is nicotine, in its potent, liquid form — extracted from tobacco and tinctured with a cocktail of flavorings, colorings and assorted chemicals to feed the fast-growing electronic cigarette industry.

These “e-liquids,” the key ingredients in e-cigarettes, are powerful neurotoxins. Tiny amounts, whether ingested or absorbed through the skin, can cause vomiting and seizures and even be lethal. A teaspoon of even highly diluted e-liquid can kill a small child.

But, like e-cigarettes, e-liquids are not regulated by federal authorities......

I agree that, much like many household cleaners and insecticides, liquid nicotine should be kept locked up somewhere safe. Much like burning cigarettes, it's not a good idea to have it lying next to you when you're about to go to sleep or to handle it without care. The article has kind of overstated the risk of actually smoking e-cigarettes by building a straw man on top of the study that is unrelated to vaping itself. This is a study of how much nicotine is typically taken in by vapers (about 1 mg in 5 mins, with less of that being absorbed.) http://www.mdpi.com/1660-4601/10/6/2500

That e-cigs don't contain the 200 plus carcinogens cigarettes do makes me think that they are safer than cigarettes. The vapour delivery means they aren't inhaling hot smoke, which is even better. I know quite a few people who have managed to quit smoking using e-cigs when nothing else worked. Others still use them, and are still enjoying health benefits over cigarettes.

Of course, those of us who have epilepsy are best off without any kind of nicotine at all, whether it be tobacco products, gum, or vapour.

Speaking of e-juice, in my city of about 10,000 people we had two e-cig and e-juice shops open in the past 3 weeks. There were none here before. I know that vaping is getting more popular but I was surprised to see 2 start-ups within a few blocks of each other. I don't partake of any of that myself, but it's an interesting trend to follow, and to see how they market it.

Vaping is a huge business. The station I'm with has one on as a major sponsor.

Vaping is very safe and a great replacement for smoking. Nicotine is actually, from what I understand, not much worse than caffeine. Thing about vaping is, the nicotine can be extremely concentrated in that juice. It can poison you.

I smoke cigars, but not often, so I don't plan on changing. I have friends that use vapes to help quit smoking cigarettes. I also know people who have started using vapes in order to tap the nicotine. The vapes are a good exchange.

Last edited:
Here is something interesting, did anyone know the oldest proven person in the world smoked all her life. Jeanne Calment lived till 122 yrs old.

"Mme Jeanne Calment, who was listed as the world's oldest human whose birth date could be certified, died at 122. She had begun smoking as a young woman. At 117 she quit smoking (by that age she was just smoking two or three cigarettes per day because she was blind and was too proud to ask often for someone to light her cigarettes for her). But she resumed smoking when she was 118 because, as she said, not smoking made her miserable and she was too old to be made miserable. She also said to her doctor: "Once you've lived as long as me, only then can you tell me not to smoke." Good point! [USA Today, "Way to go, champ," 10/18/95].

When Mme. Calment died at 122 in l997, the new longevity champ became 116-year-old Marie-Louise Meilleur, of Canada. Mme. Meilleur had chain-smoked all her adult life (as her grandson said, "She always had a cigarette dangling from her lips as she worked,"--AP, 8/15/97, reported in Miami Herald, p. 2A). She did give up smoking, however, when she was nearly 100. "

To read more about centurions that smoked go to

http://www.forces.org/evidence/hamilton/other/oldest.htm

Back
Top Bottom