birth control and AED's

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

tinasmom

New
Reaction score
A friend of mine's daughter is on Keppra and Topamax and her neuro told her that she can't take any birth control because her AED's would counteract with the birth control making it ineffective. I was wondering if anyone else is on birth control with these AED's. This young woman just moved in with her boyfriend and her mother is very concerned about her well being.

Many antiepileptic drugs don't let use the pill.
I am on tegretol and I cannot take it, tell your friend to talk with her ginecologist. I use preservatives.

Hello i take Keppra and Neurontin. I was told i can't take the pill because it decreases the level of the medicine. In fact i have taken many different epileptic drugs and i have never been able to take the pill. (depakote,tegretol,trileptal,topamax,lyrica,and lamictal) Take care!

Back
Top Bottom