birth control pills

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

peachy

New
Reaction score
Anyone with issues regarding birth control pills? I have no reason to have seizures. No family history, no head injuries. Started taking yaz and lo and behold my first seizure at age 41 appears along with numerous other side effects during the the second month. My ob/gyn perscribed it for mood swings and zits for which it helped alot. Do you think there could be any correlation between the pills and the seizures? My doctors won't even talk to me about it. I'm very concerned and upset about that.

Absolutely. Seizures are listed as a possible side effect of Yaz, and a number of people are reporting problems with it. (There are some on-going lawsuits out there, so perhaps that's why your docs aren't talking). Birth control can change estrogen levels in unexpected ways, and since estrogen can play a big role in seizures it may well be that Yaz is the trigger in your case.

yes. Seizures can be due to hormone shifts. Some women have what is known as catamenial seizures...and some women will see more seizure activity during pregnancy and menopause.

Back
Top Bottom