Coping With Epilepsy Denver Neurofeedback
10% off neurofeedback training for CWE members - Denver, CO
Neurofeedback Partner - Free Advertisement

Go Back   Epilepsy Forum > Peer Support > The Kitchen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2012, 04:00 PM
Getting Comfortable

Black mold - seizure and neurological connection?

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone knows of any doctor or any other expert with knowledge of the neurological effects of living with black mold. Recent events have brought it to my attention that the black toxic mold that was next to my sons head as he slept evey night for 6 years was likely the cause of his early morning seizures but I'm having tremendous difficulty getting definitive proof or any experts whatsoever. We don't have years to wait with this hanging over our heads before more proof comes into the media. I'm sure there is a way to prove this now if we can find an expert. Any help would be so appreciated.
Add Post to del.icio.usStumble this Post!Reddit!
Old 04-23-2012, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator / Thank You Queen

Thanked 5,032 Times in 3,878 Posts
You might try and get in touch with this guy:
http://www.epi-net.org/eng/past_conf...n_Hudnell.html

Also mentioned in this article:
http://www.prohealth.com/library/sho...cfm?libid=8849
The Following User Says Thank You to Nakamova For This Useful Post:
Nc123 (04-26-2012)
Old 05-29-2014, 04:37 PM
Getting Comfortable

I am in Maine, not California, but we found out about mold and seizures from an allergist with experience in treating teachers who got sick from mold that grew in the schools after a bad ice storm many years ago.

Our adult son developed seizures out of the blue, we had the air quality tested in his place, and found slight to moderate levels of aspergillus penicillin. It turned out he is not allergic to any molds but is hypersensitive to this one. His seizures were also early morning ones, occurring just before he awakened.
They were about every two weeks, but now that he is into his treatment, he has gone 25 days without a seizure, so we are very hopeful.

I wish you the best with this as neurologists don't seem to consider mold as a possible seizure trigger.
Old 05-29-2014, 05:48 PM
Getting Comfortable

Hi Abilene220,
That is so interesting! I so wish I had been able to test the air at either of the homes that had the visible mold and where my son developed his seizures. I tried by having someone give a mold test kit to the current tenant but never heard back so I don't think they did it. If you don't mind me asking, what type of treatment is your son receiving now that is helping so far?
Also, that put a thought in my head when you mentioned the species with the word penicillin. My son is allergic to penicillin as a medication as he developed a bad outbreak of hives when he had it as a baby. I'm curious if there is a connection and it got me thinking. Do you know if your son has an allergy to antibiotic penicillin?
Anyway, I personally would hope that someday your son could move to a mold free place but until then I hope he remains well.
Thanks so much for your reply and I look forward to hearing back. If I learn anything new I will be sure to let you know!
Old 05-29-2014, 07:31 PM
Getting Comfortable

Hello, Nc123. We had a reputable professional to the air quality testing. We found many companies that looked disreputable and/or dishonest. The testing involved testing the outside air as well as air in each of the four rooms. It was $700 and worth every penny.

In response to your question about our son being allergic to penicillin, I don't believe he is.

We are desperately looking for another apartment, but in our town they are hard to find, very hard. Until he is in a good apartment this is all he receives from the allergist: A daily dose of prescription Singulair. We also, on the allergist's advice, bought a device called a Mold Zapper, which boat owners put inside boats they store over winter to keep out any mold.

The naturopath has given him a certain kind of B vitamin along with a couple of other items that help him clear his system of the the enzymes that cause the seizures.

My son is still on his AES meds until he sees his neurologist in early July.

I will post again when we know more. In the meantime, if you think we can give you any more info, please let us know. Private message is fine, too.
Old 05-31-2014, 01:52 PM
Account Closed

This should give you the information you need.
http://users.physics.harvard.edu/~wi...mold/lees.html
Old 05-31-2014, 04:48 PM
Getting Comfortable

But this article is 12 years old and though it certainly has some valid points, it seems to have its own bias or at least a narrow focus.

My adult son developed seizures suddenly, seizures that have been significantly mitigated by the treatment of a mold expert, an M.D. who tells patients up front he is not interested in being involved in any litigation. These seizures have not been mitigated in any way by conventional neurology.

Over about 16-18 months my son's seizures occurred predictably every 10-14 days just before he awakened. His AES meds did nothing. Each time we reported to the neurologist that a seizure had occurred, my son was told to up his meds. He eventually ignored such advice.

Though he is in the early stages of treatment with the mold M.D. he has not had a seizure in 28 days. You can imagine our happiness---and our hope that this treatment will end the seizures and that he can eventually come off his meds completely.
Old 06-01-2014, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator / Spaminator

Thanked 1,160 Times in 857 Posts
Originally Posted by Abilene220 View Post:
But this article is 12 years old
It may not be particularly new but if there have been no valid studies (& I haven't seen any) to show results either way since then, it is still good knowledge and they make very good points that do not have a "best before" date.

Also, I saw no bias.They presented facts rather than opinions or anecdotes. This doesn't mean they don't have their biases (as we all do) but by keeping the discussion on the facts they definitely minimized the possibility of bias.

I also think they pointed out very well how people often do base assumptions on unproven stories or non-science.

Thanks for the link Kirsten

Last edited by epileric; 06-01-2014 at 12:43 PM.

Tags
black mold