Coping With Epilepsy Medikidz Comic Book Explains Epilepsy
Sponsored Advertisement

Go Back   Epilepsy Forum > Peer Support > The Kitchen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2009, 10:13 PM
Venerable Voice of CWE

Question body temperature change before seizure?

Does anyone else experience a fluctuation in body temperature before having auras or seizures?

I've noticed my partner's body temperature drops when he has bad days. I was wondering if that's common or uncommon or just unheard of.
Add Post to del.icio.usStumble this Post!Reddit!
Old 09-05-2009, 11:18 PM
Esteemed Pillar of the Community

I had a seizure last night and this morning and went to the E.R. My sister and friend always comment on how my hands, feet and part of my arms get colder before and especially during the seizures. Sometimes my arms will shake very mildly- nothing like a grand mal. I had a complex partial today then an Atonic event this evening.

When body temperature changes it usually mean that the blood is traveling to the brain to protect it during the seizures- so the rest of the body doesnt get as much as it normally would.

-Crystal
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crystal11 For This Useful Post:
cuppycake21 (08-20-2014), Shelley (06-14-2014)
Old 09-05-2009, 11:20 PM
Super Moderator / Fantastico
Recent Blog: Kindness is

Oh, I

become ICE COLD. Scares people, cuz on top of that, I stop breathing, and turn purple and grey, and all sorts of colors.......
Old 09-06-2009, 12:56 AM
Super Moderator / Super Mom

Send a message via Yahoo to RobinN
Have no clue if body temperature changes before a seizure, for Rebecca. Wish she could remember how she feel prior to one.

Neurofeedback - Rebecca's Story

Robin's Challenge

Knowledge is power and knowledge shared is power multiplied.
-- Bob Noyce
Old 09-06-2009, 06:42 AM
Weaving the Community Fabric

I am new to having epilepsy but have noticed that I can get quite sweaty before a seizure especially under my armpits though during my seizure my blood pressure seems to drop extremely low and I go very pale and my Mom says I feel cool / cold. The ambulance people have been known to give me a drip (saline fluid in a bag attached to my arm) to stabilize my blood pressure. It’s quite frightening. I seem to get hot and bothered again after the seizure because I haven’t got a clue what’s just happened, plus through embarrassment. Hope this helps. Kind Regards Debbie
Old 09-06-2009, 08:58 AM
Your Host

Thanked 1,662 Times in 603 Posts
Originally Posted by occb View Post:
I've noticed my partner's body temperature drops when he has bad days. I was wondering if that's common or uncommon or just unheard of.
Fluctuations in body temperature could be resulting from blood pressure (cardiac), blood sugar or thyroid problems. You should write that down as something he should discuss with his doctors for follow up testing.

Does anyone here have thyroid problems as well as seizures?

When your body temperature drops, does that reduce your chances of having a seizure?
New to CWE? I suggest reading the proactive prescription and epilepsy 101 threads. Also check out this chart of alternative epilepsy treatments and this page on EEG Neurofeedback. More great stuff can be found in the list of the best forum threads.

Would you like to help support this forum?
Old 09-06-2009, 10:48 AM
Venerable Voice of CWE

Thank you for the replies and links everyone.

Deb, my partner gets cold sweats when his body temp drops. He also looks pale and then feels generally yucky
Old 10-11-2009, 05:15 PM
Joined the Party

hello I have seizures where I know when i'm about to have them- and I the same sensation every time- and I get extremely hot right before hand, whether its actually being hot or whether its just nerves, my whole body over heats and I feel like I'm in the tropics!!!! I take off as many layers of clothes as possible, sit down somewhere and then I'm usually out...
Old 10-11-2009, 11:30 PM
Joined the Party

Send a message via MSN to jaysmom
Hi OCCB,
my son has many different seizure types but the one that sticks out the most is the one that he has had about 10 times in the last few days......
He knows when it is going to start because he gets very cold...shivery most times.....then he gets painful zapping feelings. usually one side of the body.
I am glad that someone else experiences it too as i always thought it was abnormal.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:22 PM
New Here

My son was recently diaged with seizures. I have been having doctors running all sorts of tests on him because he would experience a stomach pain then his temp would drop and his body would become cold to the touch and he would sweat and become non responsive and lathargic. After 2 years and several tests they finally tested him for seizures and sure enough that is what was happening.
I don't know if temp drop is normal, but I do know it happens every time he has one.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:35 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to danjor
A lot of times I feel like i'm freezing beforehand. My girlfriend has commented on how my hands and face get really cold. I don't know..
Old 10-22-2009, 10:50 PM
Venerable Voice of CWE
Recent Blog: Update

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada (a.k.a The Land Of Endless Snow!)
Send a message via MSN to Rae1889 Send a message via Yahoo to Rae1889 Send a message via Skype™ to Rae1889
I always get really flush and hot before hand. *its okay deb, I get really gross and sweaty too!* and then seize (i'm speaking from my tonic/clonic seizures here) and then after, I am ice cold to the touch all over. I know I get really really flush after an absence though. It varies depending on the type of seizure I have.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:21 AM
Joined the Party

I get very hot and flush right beforehand too on some of mine. I feel so hot and sweaty that I start taking off whatever clothes I can and splash cold water all over myself.....it feels awful! Sometimes I'll get nauseated and my stomach will grumble as well.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:04 PM
Venerable Voice of CWE

Isn't that interesting -- I haven't read about body temp changes in any of the literature, but it sure seems to happen to a lot of people.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:41 PM
New Here

I actually just googled temperature drops during seizure, and this is one of the first things, and only things that popped up. My son has tonic-clonic seizures, and when he was in the hospital in the post-ictal state only moments after his seizures, his temperature had dropped to 95 degrees. I don't know if his temperature dropped beforehand because the seizures generally happen in his sleep. I have researched a lot about epilepsy and have yet to come across anything about temp drop, but reading these entrys made me feel it must be more common than I thought
Old 09-02-2010, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator / Even Keel

Thanked 1,224 Times in 949 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Endless
On rare occasions I feel incredibly hot and my mom says my face turns bright red. I don't know if my temp actually changes because I've never taken my temperature during a seizure, or right before or after.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:07 PM
Joined the Party

I am not sure if my temperature actually changes, but I almost always begin to feel hot, even if I were standing in snow, before hand. If that hot feeling is accompanied by a sick stomach sensation, I have had a seizure 99% of the time. As far as the BP that folks have mentioned, during my last seizure with medical personnel there, they were concerned when my BP dropped significantly during the seizure. But that was during a rare tonic clonic for me, so might be related to that? vs when I have complex partials. Not sure.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:52 AM
New Here

Temperature Change

New to Site... Just trying to find common link to temperature change and seizures. My Step Son's seizures seem to be happening alot during showers...
Old 11-27-2011, 01:04 PM
Your Host

Thanked 1,662 Times in 603 Posts
Hi Ddb - Try reading about reflex seizures and see if it sounds familiar:

http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/...0seizures.html
New to CWE? I suggest reading the proactive prescription and epilepsy 101 threads. Also check out this chart of alternative epilepsy treatments and this page on EEG Neurofeedback. More great stuff can be found in the list of the best forum threads.

Would you like to help support this forum?
The Following User Says Thank You to Bernard For This Useful Post:
DebbieDerryberry (11-27-2011)
Old 05-23-2014, 11:04 PM
Joined the Party

I just wanted to bump this and am curious who all experiences body temp change before seizures. my neck and upper body (head) get really hot and flushed, everything else is freezing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk