Body temperature and seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
So I been trying to find some information on this topic but have so far been unsuccessful. My question to you guys: how does your seizures affect your body temperature?

The reason I ask is, during my "episodes" which closely match the symptoms of partial seizures, I "feel" a shiver and almost cold, but in reality, my face burns up and everyone grabs a ice pack to chill me down. my hands and the rest of my body are abnormally cold though.

Does anyone else experience this, or something similar?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seizures can definitely affect body temperature, and it can go both up and down. Simple partials that affect the autonomic nervous system can cause sensations of goosebumps and chills. And with tonic-clonic seizures in particular, the body turns blue and the extremities get cold because the body is sending all the blood to the brain and the internal organs (for protective purposes). So it wouldn't be unusual to have cold hands and a warm face.

Interesting topic. I have nocturnal seizures, and have noticed ice cold hands at the time of a seizure when the rest of me is comfortable even if uncovered. Never gave it much thought before because it doesn't happen every time.

I've had several time at night when I've woke up covered in sweat.

The temp in the house is the same as it's always been and I've got the same amounts of blankets on me as I always do. Sometimes I get so hot I've got to sleep with nothing over me. I don't know if I could be having seizures when this happens.

A few years ago I was in town and it was pretty hot outside. I had on long pants and a black shirt. I got very hot and had a seizure because of it.

It's really weird, I am SHIVERING, but everyone seems frantic to cool me down, because I am burning up! I know that you can go into a seizure from being too hot, which is interesting how you get too hot from being in one??

You have to remember that just because we feel cold doesn't mean our body temp is low nor does it mean if we feel hot that our body temp is high.

I've often felt chilly after a seizure but that doesn't mean my body temp is lowered.

Back
Top Bottom