Bright Flash of Light In My Head

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I was awakened at 3:30 a.m. By a bright flash of light in my head, definitely in my head, not in my room. I've been seizure-free for 4-1/2 months. Wondering if you think this was an aura? Lasted only a couple of seconds. On Keppra. I'm thinking it was either a) an aura and the meds suppressed the seizure from fully manifesting, or b) the flash was the seizure.

I felt none of the depleted, exhausted after effects the next day that I usually feel post s-p or c-p seizure.

Not sure what happened. Can any of you help me out?

Do you have any history of migraines at all? Same thing happened to me two weeks ago--turned out to be an occular migraine (migraine with visual aura but no headache). Tipoff was some of the other symptoms of migraine following afterwards: sensitivity to light, a little nausea, slightest vestiges of headache in right temple. The neuro I talked to said the flashes were much more classic of a migraine aura than a seizure but in my case I have a history of migraines and even occular migraines. Of course I can't say for sure if that was the case for you, so it's just a thought.

Last edited:
Thanks lindsayschu2. No history of migraines. I live in Tucson, AZ; we're hot and dry here. I ride my bike >1,000 miles a month and often have some mild nausea and headaches which I attribute to mild dehydration. Have also been low energy, lethargic recently. Could be post-ictal, but could also be due to high pollen counts and high winds we've had the last 6-8 weeks, I imagine "more will be revealed" as we move through this transitional season and I can tease out (maybe) what symptoms are weather related and which are seizure related.

I have been diagnosed with epilepsy n have had this happen. I'm not sure about other times at the moment, but one of the last times it did, I was laying down trying to go to sleep n a light was in my head all the sudden, with a lot of pressure. Just for a second. N I do not recall if I had a full seizure from that that day, but other things happened, not sure if actual seizures though. Too much stuff goes on with my health, a lot of it unexplainable.

I was awakened at 3:30 a.m. By a bright flash of light in my head, definitely in my head, not in my room. I've been seizure-free for 4-1/2 months. Wondering if you think this was an aura? Lasted only a couple of seconds. On Keppra. I'm thinking it was either a) an aura and the meds suppressed the seizure from fully manifesting, or b) the flash was the seizure.

I felt none of the depleted, exhausted after effects the next day that I usually feel post s-p or c-p seizure.

Not sure what happened. Can any of you help me out?

Sounds to me like an aura either for a seizure or migraine...as the light flashing you sensed is like a warning before anything may occur.

It's just forum shorthand for saying I agree with your post ;)

Back
Top Bottom