Burning Tongue

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Anyone ever have a burning tongue (like crushed red pepper on part if your tongue) as an aura or the sz itself?

No, but it doesn't sound like fun unless you like really hot foods.

right now, been in and out of ps's since sometime last week. Talked to doctor today, didn't mention burning tounge,, not sure it's related to seizures.

I guess if other types of sensations can be effects of auras, then tastes can be as well. I think there have been a few posts on here describing very strong tastes during simples, it could very well be down to where it first starts in the brain.

Is it always just that 1 very strong taste/sensation, or can you think of others in the past?

Slim Blue, only one taste sensation one time and that preceded a hard day of simple partials and post sz depletion.

I've suffered with soreness of the tongue besides swelling off and on for years besides it looking like an iron as burnt it but always put it down to my sjogren's syndrome but who really knows as seizures cause so many affects and I hope the info below can help you in any way :)

Medication reaction or side-effect, and Epilepsy (simple partial seizures).

There are 9 conditions associated with sore tongue, soreness or burning inside of mouth and strange smell or taste. The links below will provide you with more detailed information on these medical conditions from the WebMD Symptom Checker and help provide a better understanding of causes and treatment of these related conditions.

Allergic reaction
Allergic reaction causes sneezing, runny nose and hives and can lead to anaphylaxis, a whole body reaction.

Medication reaction or side-effect
Medication side effects include nausea, vomiting, stomach upset, weakness, dizziness, seizures, and more.

Epilepsy (simple partial seizures)
During simple partial epileptic seizures, people remain fully conscious, able to respond to external stimuli.

Thalassemia
Thalassemia is a rare group of genetic blood disorders effecting red blood cells and leading to anemia.

Thermal burn of mouth or tongue
A thermal burn of the mouth or tongue can cause pain, blisters, peeling skin, and temporary loss of taste.

Anemia, iron deficiency
Anemia , a lack of red blood cells, can cause fatigue, pale skin and gums, brittle nails, irritability, and more.

Canker sores
Canker sore symptoms begin with a tingling sensation, followed by a red bump that becomes an ulcer.

Epilepsy (complex partial seizures)
During complex partial seizures, people lose consciousness briefly.

Epilepsy (temporal lobe)
Epilepsy is a condition marked by seizures.

http://symptomchecker.webmd.com/mul...-taste&symptomids=540|365|574&locations=7|7|7

My Father works with someone who's had epilepsy his whole life, and will taste Mint before having a seizure

Inflammed and sore tongue can also be a symptom of some vitamin deficiencies as well.

Anyone ever have a burning tongue (like crushed red pepper on part if your tongue) as an aura or the sz itself?

Not only will my tongue burn, my throat will burn. This happened suddenly the other day and I felt really weird. I was in a store and couldn't wait to get out of there. I had some ativan with me and chewed one up and soon the feeling went away. So maybe these felling are related to seizures or even simple anxiety.

By the way, my doctor changed me from klonipin to ativan as a rescue med and it seems to work. It didn't seem like the klonipin was doing anything to help.

My Father works with someone who's had epilepsy his whole life, and will taste Mint before having a seizure

It's funny you mentioning your dads friend tastes mint...now mine is mental :rolleyes: but the taste is horrible.

There is a thing called 'Burning mouth syndrome' that's how I realised there was something wrong with me as I went to the dentist about it...it turned out not to be that but it might be worth asking your gp about if its there a lot, apparently it is caused a lot by stress but also other underlying medical issues.

Aren't our bodies complicated? So many things going on at one time. So many things can go awry.

Aren't our bodies complicated? So many things going on at one time. So many things can go awry.

So true...shame we can't seem to just have one thing to deal with at a time. I always wonder why we weren't designed for little nice medical things, like suddenly waking up one morning with the brightest blues eyes or something :/

There is a thing called 'Burning mouth syndrome' that's how I realised there was something wrong with me as I went to the dentist about it...it turned out not to be that but it might be worth asking your gp about if its there a lot, apparently it is caused a lot by stress but also other underlying medical issues.
Hi Lotte,
Thanks for mentioning "Burning mouth syndrome" as i'll ask my dentist about that as it may be linked to my sjogren's :tup:

Information on "Burning mouth syndrome" - Mentioned by Lotte
Worth getting checked out

The cause of burning mouth syndrome can be classified as either primary or secondary.

Primary burning mouth syndrome

When no clinical or lab abnormalities can be identified, the condition is called primary or idiopathic burning mouth syndrome. Some research suggests that primary burning mouth syndrome is related to problems with taste and sensory nerves of the peripheral or central nervous system.

Secondary burning mouth syndrome

Sometimes burning mouth syndrome is caused by an underlying medical condition. In these cases, it's called secondary burning mouth syndrome.

Underlying problems that may be linked to secondary burning mouth syndrome include:
•Dry mouth (xerostomia), which can be caused by various medications, health problems, problems with salivary gland function or the side effects of cancer treatment
•Other oral conditions, such as a fungal infection of the mouth (oral thrush), an inflammatory condition called oral lichen planus, or a condition called geographic tongue that gives the tongue a map-like appearance
•Nutritional deficiencies, such as lack of iron, zinc, folate (vitamin B-9), thiamin (vitamin B-1), riboflavin (vitamin B-2), pyridoxine (vitamin B-6) and cobalamin (vitamin B-12)
•Dentures, especially if they don't fit well, which can place stress on some muscles and tissues of your mouth, or if they contain materials that irritate mouth tissues
•Allergies or reactions to foods, food flavorings, other food additives, fragrances, dyes or dental-work substances
•Reflux of stomach acid (gastroesophageal reflux disease or GERD) that enters your mouth from your stomach
•Certain medications, particularly high blood pressure medications called angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors
•Oral habits, such as tongue thrusting, biting the tip of the tongue and teeth grinding (bruxism)
•Endocrine disorders, such as diabetes or underactive thyroid (hypothyroidism)
•Excessive mouth irritation, which may result from overbrushing your tongue, using abrasive toothpastes, overusing mouthwashes or having too many acidic drinks, such as lemon
•Psychological factors, such as anxiety, depression or stress

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/burning-mouth-syndrome/basics/causes/con-20029596

Hi Lotte,
Thanks for mentioning "Burning mouth syndrome" as i'll ask my dentist about that as it may be linked to my sjogren's :tup:

You're welcome. I was sent to ENT by my dentist to find out if it was burning mouth, they might do the same with you. Hope you find an answer, let me know what they say? :)

You're welcome. I was sent to ENT by my dentist to find out if it was burning mouth, they might do the same with you. Hope you find an answer, let me know what they say? :)

Hi Lotte,

I'll just ask my dentist when I go, as I used to be under ENT but after my last operation they discharged me from that section unless anything occurred again for a referral.

I'll let you know what my dentist says but at the moment I can't attend as my systems going through a flare and being on a chemo med...colds galour keep hitting me.

Back
Top Bottom