Burst Blood vessels

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

kmcc

New
Reaction score
3 days ago I had a seizure .......what was new was I had burst blood vessels in my eyes and the same under the skin on my chest and shoulders.

Can anyone explain why this happens and why for only the first time?

Slán.

Last edited:
HI kmcc - Welcome to CWE
as we are not in the medical profession, we can not diagnose your condition. It is best that you call your doctor.

We can share our stories and try to find similar patterns, and in that regard, my daughter has never burst a blood vessel to my knowledge.

Any new symptoms need to be taken seriously and should be discussed with your PCP.

Of course I called my Dr.......I just thought this was a place where we could share and give advice etc.

Hi kmcc --

Others on this site have reported experiencing broken blood vessels after a seizure. They can result from a direct blow to the affected area, but may also be associated with the body straining while it is seizing. Maybe your most recent seizure was more violent than some of the other you've had? Or there were factors (blood pressure, dehydration, fatigue etc.) that may have made your body more vulnerable during this particular seizure.

Best,
Nakamova

By the way, the broken vessels should clear up in a few days to few weeks. Taking vitamin C might help a bit to prevent this in the future. (Vitamin C helps strengthen the walls of little blood vessels.)

Best,
Nakamova

I've had

the same problem. Several times for that matter (my t/c's are pretty violent). As best as the doctors have been able to figure, I have bent myself into some odd positions (verified a few times) that stretched the area past it's normal capabilities. The result was the burst blood vessels. I've also hit some furniture (broken it, too) causing some of the blood vessels to burst.....

I had to take some time off work and rest, put some ice packs on, because of the location of where they were. Annoying, because I am not a person who knows how to relax by nature.....

I haven't had this happen, but when my son was little and had a bad asthma attack, it was pretty common he would burst blood vessels in eyes and face and sometimes neck. The doctor said it was related to him straining very hard to breathe. The worst of it would always clear up in 2-3 days. It sometimes could take a week or so for it to clear up entirely

I almost always have a few burst blood vessels in my eyes due to the frequency of my seizures. Have been told by people a few times that I look like a reasonably good looking zombie with the red eyes! :roflmao: They clear up within about a week if you are lucky in the eyes, longer elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom