Busy Beaver Poster lately...

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

AndrewIrish

Stalwart
Reaction score
Hey all,

I am concerned over something that happened today. I woke up early, (around 9ish), drove to a church for my sister-in-law's wedding... it's a 25 minute drive.... half way through noticed something odd....

I'm a smoker.

I smoke when I drive.

I couldn't 'flick' my cigarette. Couldn't move my hand at all, actually. I was driving left handed(which I don't do), and unable to move my hand.... I wanted to.... couldn't move my wrist... in order to 'flick' my ashes, I had to move my right arm at the elbow and smack it against a console... and couldn't grip or use my or upper arm for about an hour.... I parked, tried to settle myself at a gas station... and then started driving... and lost the ability to move my calf or foot... had to move my leg at the knee, in order to hit the gas or brakE(ALWAYS RIGHT HANDED, RIGHT-FOOTED OR WHATEVER...)...

(Sorry, caps...)

What's going on? Is that Epilepsy related? Inability to move parts of your body? Scared the crud out of me today... it's hard ot use the right side right now, but as I'm not driving and just typing, I'm managing okay... not 100%... maybe 70%.... but... right hand I don't have full 'access' too and my right leg is dragging....

And my 'inability to move', I don't mean cramp.... I mean, I wanted to move my body, went like normal in my entire life and no dice.... simplycouldn't move my limbs... just couldn't.... they're not hurt or broken or bruised.... just couldn't MOVE... like.... my body forgot how to move all of a sudden...

Can you move now? Was your vision effected? Any headache? If yes to any of these, call 911 now.

My post is well after the fact, I see, but I'm sure others will be reading. Educate yourself in the symptoms of stroke, and there are some quick tell-tale tests you can do to check for symptoms. One acronym to remember at least some of these signs is FAST. F = face: does one side of the face droop, when you smile is your smile even on both sides of your face, stick your tongue out - does it go to one side or straight A = Arms. Can you lift both arms up, which of course leads to can you stand on and move both legs correctly S = speech - repeat a simple sentence, say what day it is T = time - if you or someone else has ANY of these signs of stroke, get to the hospital immediately.

Had a breakthrough seizure in December. I was in a store and they called paramedics and later my daughter. I vaguely remember medics asking me to squeeze his hand I did then asked to squeeze it with the other and I couldn't feel his hand or squeeze it. Could not do what he asked with left foot either. Seems I couldn't use anything on left side. They told my daughter I needed to go to ER to make sure wasn't a stroke. Turned out it was something they call Todd's Paralysis. They did ct scan did not show to be a stroke and by the time I left ER I could move arm and leg on left side. Told neuro Dr the other day that I don't know if this was something knew to my experiences or is this just the first time someone had picked up on it. Did research when I got home and it does say that them symptoms mimic a stroke and does need medical attention to determine that it is not a stroke.

Back
Top Bottom