Can AED's effect the immune system?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Mono

New
Reaction score
As the title says, can AED's effect the immune system?

I'm curious as I seem to be more susceptible to the common cold, flu and virii than I have ever been since starting on AED's. For example I got over a pretty crappy cold on Monday, and by yesterday afternoon I found myself coughing and sneezing again. Not long before all that I also had a tummy bug which is unusual for me. I usually get a cold once a year - if that - and tummy bugs even more scarcely.

FWIW I'm on Keppra and Epilim. If this continues I suppose I will need to start taking some kind of multivitamin regularly. I have had problems with anemia in the past due to "lady problems" (sorry boys!) but that hasn't been an issue for some time now.

I don't know if this will help you, but when I googled it, they've done a ton of studies on this particular subject :

I'm too new to the forums that it won't let me post links yet - but here's one of the smaller articles about it.

Keywords:

Antiepileptic drugs;
Immune system

Summary

Data on the effects of antiepileptic drugs on the immune system are frequently inconsistent and sometimes conflicting because the effects of drugs cannot be separated from those of seizures, first-generation drugs have been most intensively investigated, the patient’s genetic background, the mechanism of action and the pharmacokinetic profile of AEDs and the concurrent use of immunosuppressant drugs may act as confounders. Valproate, carbamazepine, phenytoin, vigabatrin, levetiracetam, and diazepam have been found to modulate the immune system activity by affecting humoral and cellular immunity. AEDs are associated with pharmacokinetic interactions (most frequently occurring with carbamazepine, phenytoin, phenobarbital and valproate). Hepatic metabolism is the primary site of interaction for both AEDs and immunotherapies (ACTH, dexamethasone, hydrocortisone, methylprednisolone, cyclophosphamide, methotrexate, rituximab), which entail induction or inhibition of drug effects. However, the clinical importance of these drug interactions is still far from defined. An important adverse effect of the action of AEDs on the immune system is antiepileptic hypersensitivity syndrome (AHS), a life-threatening, idiosyncratic cutaneous reaction to aromatic AEDs resulting in end organ damage. Phenytoin, carbamazepine, phenobarbital, lamotrigine, oxcarbazepine, felbamate, and zonisamide have been implicated. The pathogenic mechanisms of AHS are incompletely understood.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1528-1167.2011.03035.x/abstract

Last edited by a moderator:
IF you put in your question into google and read through some of the articles, there seems to be a lot of people who complain about the drugs and a lowered immune system - so my guess is some people suffer from a lowered immune system while on the drugs, depending on how your body reacts to the drugs.

That's interesting I know when I was taking carbamazepine the generic for Tegretol I was getting more colds and all and then after a while they discovered my liver blood count was off. I was freaked out so they took me off the carbamazepine (generic for tegretol) And that is when they switched me to Keppra and since then my liver blood count has been normal.:e:

AEDs give me low CBC counts (white and red blood cells). If I were prone to infections, that could be a bad thing. For the most part I am pretty healthy, but I got a spring cold this year that lasted forever. I don't know if you're more susceptible to infection because of AEDs, but it may take longer to get your immune system revved up to fight one.

It explains why I was always coming down with something when I was on the Carbatrol! I was always having swollen glands, picking up colds, flu, etc. But I havnt been on Carbatrol since March of this year, and so far Ive been feeling good! :)

I would believe it does.

Sugar also weakens the immune system

Vitamin D deficiency weakens the immune system

According to a recent study in the Archives of Internal Medicine, 75 percent of Americans do not get enough Vitamin D. Researchers have found that the deficiency may negatively impact immune function and cardiovascular health and increase cancer risk. Now, a University of Missouri nutritional sciences researcher has found that vitamin D deficiency is associated with inflammation, a negative response of the immune system, in healthy women.

Since taking Vit D (on the high dosage) I have not had any illnesses in 3 yrs.
I should get out each day for 30 min of CA sun, but I find I don't, so I choose to supplement.

Do be careful since it is known that taking too much for too long can have consequences as well.

Taking vitamin D for long periods of time in doses higher than 4000 units per day is POSSIBLY UNSAFE and may cause excessively high levels of calcium in the blood. However, much higher doses are often needed for the short-term treatment of vitamin D deficiency. This type of treatment should be done under the supervision of a healthcare provider.
Special precautions & warnings:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/929.html

I get my vitamin levels checked... and Vitamin D is always on the low end of normal, even with taking larger doses. I will take the risk, because I do feel better. I also don't have to consider taking a much more harmful (IMO) flu vaccine.

AEDs give me low CBC counts (white and red blood cells). If I were prone to infections, that could be a bad thing. For the most part I am pretty healthy, but I got a spring cold this year that lasted forever. I don't know if you're more susceptible to infection because of AEDs, but it may take longer to get your immune system revved up to fight one.

I've had low CBC counts also while on AEDs which also made me catch colds and flu that lasted forever. According to the PDR (Physicians Desk Reference), many of the AEDs can lower the immune system.

posted by RobinN
I would believe it does.

Sugar also weakens the immune system
Not only does sugar weaken the immune system, so can food allergies and inadequate sleep/rest.

Immune System - What Causes a Weaken Immune System?
Food allergens
The immune system recognizes an otherwise harmless substance as a foreign invader and attacks it, causing an allergic reaction. Before the battle, the intestinal lining was like a wall impenetrable to foreign invaders. After many encounters with food allergens, the wall is damaged, enabling invaders and other potentially toxic substances in the food to get into the bloodstream and make the body feel fatigued.

Intake high amounts of saturated and trans fats
Obesity can lead to a weakened immune system. It can affect the ability of white blood cells to multiply, produce antibodies, and prevent inflammation.

Inadequate amount of sleep
An inadequate amount of sleep can lead to a depressed immune system. Our body requires sleep to restore it's depleted energy during sleeping and allows white blood cells to re- strengthen themselves.

RobinN
I also don't have to consider taking a much more harmful (IMO) flu vaccine.

I DO take the flu vaccine because for me the flu can be deadly. When a person like me has two chronic illnesses (epilepsy and Type 1 diabetes) it is very easy to have a weakened immune system, therefore catch every "bug" that goes around. My father nearly died last winter from the flu virus and then I caught it, too. I'll get my vaccine this year.

I never thought of the two connecting.

It's been in the last few year, I seem to catch everything. My husband will tell me how everyone at his work is sick with colds, ets. He never catches it, but I do.
I take a vit. c in the winter months, use COLD-EZE, these seem to help with the symptoms and the duration.

I've had low CBC counts also while on AEDs which also made me catch colds and flu that lasted forever. According to the PDR (Physicians Desk Reference), many of the AEDs can lower the immune system.

posted by RobinN

Not only does sugar weaken the immune system, so can food allergies and inadequate sleep/rest.

RobinN

I DO take the flu vaccine because for me the flu can be deadly. When a person like me has two chronic illnesses (epilepsy and Type 1 diabetes) it is very easy to have a weakened immune system, therefore catch every "bug" that goes around. My father nearly died last winter from the flu virus and then I caught it, too. I'll get my vaccine this year.

I have a breastfed baby in my home who was only a few weeks old at the time when our oldest child got the h1n1 virus... (confirmed with a swab test) he was out of school for a week or so feeling kinda crappy.

My daughter and I didn't catch it... I upp'd my vitamin C and made him wear a mask around the house and wash his hands really well.

I find that taking garlic and vitamin C during cold seasons *really* helps reduce the chances of catching illnesses.

So if you have a compromised immune system you might want to try seeing if those supplements help!

I'm also anti-flu vaccine... so even though we were exposed, neither of us caught it. :) (and, since we were exposed, it was too late for the vaccine anyways!)

I find that taking garlic and vitamin C during cold seasons *really* helps reduce the chances of catching illnesses.

So if you have a compromised immune system you might want to try seeing if those supplements help!

I'm also anti-flu vaccine... so even though we were exposed, neither of us caught it. :) (and, since we were exposed, it was too late for the vaccine anyways!)

Been there, done that. Plus with my diabetes, every time I've tried taking any supplements, my glucose skyrockets! :ponder: I think I'll leave it in the hands of my nutritionist at my endocrinologist's office.

Been there, done that. Plus with my diabetes, every time I've tried taking any supplements, my glucose skyrockets! :ponder: I think I'll leave it in the hands of my nutritionist at my endocrinologist's office.

that sucks!

I have hypoglycemic issues - and PCOS symptoms, but i'm not diabetic - or at least, they don't think so so far.

Sorry to hear you react so poorly to supplements :(

I get my vitamin levels checked... and Vitamin D is always on the low end of normal, even with taking larger doses.

Glad you do keep your levels checked. Many people don't bother not realizing how too much of something good can be worse than they thought.

Thanks for the feedback guys! Seems like it is a pretty common issue so I will have to have a chat with my doctor about it next time I see her. Hopefully she can recommend multi-vitamins for me and run blood tests if necessary. Is it worth letting my neurologist know as well?

I'm looking forward to start feeling better soon!

Hopefully she can recommend multi-vitamins for me and run blood tests if necessary. Is it worth letting my neurologist know as well?

I'm looking forward to start feeling better soon!

Definitely mention it to you neurologist as well. Hope you're feeling better soon.

IMO Multi vitamins aren't worth the $$
Target key issues / symptoms and keep a journal as to how you are feeling. I think the neuro will make a list of what you are taking. I always told them how much and why. I kept my research in a three ring binder, in case I forgot.

Hope you feel better too

I get sick with colds, flu, pnumonia, sinus infections more than my family and friends. I used to blame it on the AEDs. I could swear it's the lamictal. But I have another neurological disorder and a large number of people in that support group think they have weak immune systems, too. It just makes me wonder if things going on in the brain is really the culprit, not the meds.

Some vitamins are a good idea. My doctors want me on a good multiple vitamin. Also extra calcium, magnesium, and I'm on a mega-dose of potassium (prescription strength, 10M, not milligrams mg per tablet). I was taking b-vitamins and taurine for awhile but didn't notice a huge difference for me. I'm also using toothpaste that's prescription-only because of the high levels of flouride in it. My dentist prescribed it. It's supposed to protect teeth from weakening, which happens sometimes with some AEDs. Just be careful and don't take too much vitamin A. It can elevate cerebral spinal fluid pressure in your head. You don't want that. Trust me.

Any vitamin in excess can have undesirable side effects. I guess that's why some people stick to the multiple vitamins.

When I was taking Carbatrol (Tegretol) not only did I find out that my liver blood count was low but my vitamin D levels were low. I was really surprised about the Vitamin D levels because I ate alot of yogurt. Well they thought the abnormal liver levels might be due to the long term taking of the Carbatrol (tegretol) once I went off the Cabatrol my liver blood levels returned to normal. Also my Vitamin D Level returned to normal.

Now Im on Keppra and I have other problems it seems like it just totally messes up my vitamin B count.

I am now taking Calcium Magnesium, Vitamin B Stress Complex and I just started taking 5 HTP. The Doctor never highly recommends vitamins but when I bring it up he says ok I could give the Vitamin B Complex a try. When I asked him about the Magnesium he seemed quite positive about it. But he is more likely to recommend Prescription Medicines than the Vitamins.:e:

Back
Top Bottom