Can Keppra & Depakote be friends?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Juju26

Pillar
Reaction score
I have my fingers crossed and am definitely hoping they can be the best of friends, because they will be meeting :shake: for the first time tonight.

Keppra and I became friends at 1000mg 2x a day in March 2013, and I still had tonic & complex seizures saying hi, so I was moved up to 1500mg 2x a day in June 2013. The tonic seizure's said goodbye, but the simple and complex seizures still remain, I have already had 5 complex seizures this year and a drop attack.

So my neurologist has added Depakote at 1000mg 2x a day, I have heard many horror stories of Keppra, but besides drowsiness, me and Keppra have always been on good terms.....

....I'm just hoping my body gets along with Depakote, and of course that Depakote and Keppra become friends :hi5: and not enemies :bondage:.

Has anyone here had a bad experience with combining two anti-seizure meds?

I took Depakote before Keppra. It knocked me out. 13 - 16 hours of sleep a night. My sister had a list of things I ate in one day. I just kept rattling them off when she asked. A whole cantaloupe, a box of strawberries, a box of chicken wings, half a tub of ice cream, etc. It was crazy. Depakote just wasn't for me.
Keppra hasn't been a problem, but like you, I continued to have partials, so I had Vimpat added with great results.
I hope the Keppra Depakote mix works well for you.

I'm allergic to Keppra and depakote they make me scratch myself raw.

Back
Top Bottom